Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-11-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
As others have mentioned I don't think the formula holds true in the real world. Our 62hp Volvo (non turbo) has averaged 1.0 gph consistently over the years (1988 model). At 6.5 knots this equates to - ta dah! -6.5 mpg. A guy in our marina just had a new 32' aluminum catamaran power boat built, he burns app. 25 gph (two 370hp Volvo diesels, turbo charged+intercooled+electronic) and cruises at 30 knots so he is getting 1.2 mpg (and spending $75/hour),ouch!

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
There is 112,000 btu's in a gallon of gas. There is 130,000 btu's in a gallon of diesel. Given the same efficiently of engines the diesel would use less fuel to do the same work. However, diesel engines are also inherently more efficient than a gas engine as they burn more of the available fuel and less goes out of the exhaust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Guys, the fuel burn per hour seems very rasonable, considering the btu's diesel provide and also the average efficiency on engines nowaday. But seems mostly of you are taking your engine MAX RATED HP in consideration and not the real HP you're using. In other words, my boat has a 54HP Yanmar, and when cruising in calm waters at 6knots, I use barely 1600 rpm, this mean roughly 27HP out of my engine. At this HP, it burns almost what the previous table say. So, if you're measuring you consumption, please note the rpm and go to your engine graph to show you how much HP it puts at such rpm.
Old 09-11-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
According to the calculations then..my 64 hp Perkins should be burning 3.56 gph...It is not as far as I can tell ...but I will have to have more opportunity to check it out over time to be sure ..so far I have only ran it about 2 hours...I cant ignore this feeling in my gut telling me it will come in closer to under 1/2 of that..I will be quite surprised if it does not...as using various other engine consumptions ratios I have around here to compare it with says that calculation is all wet.
If your 64 HP Perkins was actually generating 64 HP I expect it would eat up about 3 GPH. You'll notice that during rough weather in a head wind your fuel consumption will increase even though you're running the same RPM as you always do.

In calm weather with no wind it just doesn't take all that much muscle to move a sailboat around.
Old 09-11-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
As others have mentioned I don't think the formula holds true in the real world. Our 62hp Volvo (non turbo) has averaged 1.0 gph consistently over the years (1988 model). At 6.5 knots this equates to - ta dah! -6.5 mpg. A guy in our marina just had a new 32' aluminum catamaran power boat built, he burns app. 25 gph (two 370hp Volvo diesels, turbo charged+intercooled+electronic) and cruises at 30 knots so he is getting 1.2 mpg (and spending $75/hour),ouch!
Thats great to hear John...Im counting on mine being no more then 1.5 and I will be estacic if it is as low as yours.....PS: Thats better then my Dump truck gets..I get about 4.5 MPG....but thats 444 hp...ya baby!!

Dully noted Selkirk...I suppose you are right about that..I never run my Heavy Equipment more then 75% throttle and most of the time less then that...per the calculations my Dump Truck would only get 2.5 mpg

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-11-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2009

motion300 is on a distinguished road
My 120 hp lehman burns 2.3gph no matter the weather as long as I keep it at 1650rpm
Old 09-12-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
One thing to keep in mind: the power doesn't vary linearly with speed (and RPM), it varies with about the cube! So at 3 knots, you need about 1/8 the power you do at 6 knots. Reduce the speed by only 20% and the power is only about half of what it was. That explains the differences between the calculated fuel consumptiong based on rated engine power and actual consumption at cruise speeds.
Old 09-12-2009

Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
JimsCAL, very good point to remember. Also, many new diesels does provide an average chart for rpm/HP (like you say, clearly not linear), so you can beter estimate fuel consumption if you balance against speed.
Old 09-12-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Negrini- I realize that I am not using all 62 hp when at 2500 rpm on an engine that will do 3500, but do the math, it still does not equate. Even if I were only using 40 hp to push Laurie Anne (40' - 24,000 disp.) by that formula I would be burning 2.2 gph which is over twice what in fact it uses. By this formula I should only be using 18 hp at cruise speed since I only use 1 gph. In fact, using that formula it is wrong for any of the scores of diesel engines I have owned and have paid for the fuel bills on, so I know how much they use. My current crab boat, for just one more example, has 200 hp, 190 at the prop, and I run it at 3400 rpm. WOT is 3800 and I average betweeen 6 -7 gph at that speed(I log every gallon that goes into it). According to this formula it should be burning close to 9 gph. The Volvo fuel consumption graph is close to my actual burn rate, a little higher. All I am saying is that this does not seem to be a reliable formula to use to estimate anticipated fuel consumption, and therefore required tankage.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-12-2009

... gallons, littlers, miles, kilometers ..... I just messed up as I don't think imperial. John, redoing the math to my engine, you're correct. Shame on me.