SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Generaters & outboards

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Architeuthis 
#1 ·
Lots of complaints about outboards and fuel but I don't see any about generaters and fuel. Why, aren't the moters very similar.

Second ? Anybody have experience with a dual fuel (gas & propane) or a propane generater. There is at least one propane fueled outboard in development so it might become possible to have genny,outboard and barbecue all propane powered.

#2 ·
Wouldn't recommend getting or using a propane genset, since getting propane is more of a PITA than getting gasoline or diesel.

Yes, the small gasoline engines used in outboards are pretty similar to those used in generators, and you won't see too many complaints, since most marine use gensets are DIESEL.

Also, a lot of the complaints about the new Ethanol-blend fuels and outboard motors has to do with fouling and other damage caused by the ethanol in the fuel. One cause was that many outboard powered boats with fixed fuel tanks had issues since the ethanol would damage the fiberglass fuel tanks and the resulting sludge would cause the carbs and jets to gum up or clog. Some of the older fuel lines and gaskets were also not ethanol resistant and caused similar problems.

#3 ·
RXBOT,

Sometime back I was looking at the possibility of getting a generator for home use powered by natural gas. The dealer recommended against it saying he had complaints about hard starting. In fact he had one, barely used, on the floor that a customer returned. Don't know if propane would present the same problem? Suggest asking the dealer about it.

Dabnis

#4 ·
I was thinking of the small portable gens like Honda 1000,2000,3000. No one complains about fuel problems with them. I know gas has more BTU's per pound so you would use more propane than gas for same result. B ut it would seem convenient to have barbecue and generater on same fuel.

#5 ·
If you carry an outboard for the dinghy or use one for the main engine, then carrying gasoline isn't much of an issue, since you're already carrying it.

If you have a diesel main engine, then getting diesel powered genset makes sense.

It doesn't make much sense IMHO to get a genset that runs on propane, since it would require more fuel than a gasoline or diesel genset for the same runtime, and the fuel is more difficult to acquire.

#6 ·
Just a quick note, for those that do not know it, I have found small outboards (9.9 and under... do not have 1st hand on the larger) are sensitive to the ethanol, especially it seems to be that the fuel seems to go 'bad' after a month or two. As many of you know, it can be hard to go through a tank of fuel on the outboard due to efficiency. We have found that additives help, but still rely on smaller quantities of fuel (do not fill up the tank).

Just some thoughts as I suspect that any small engine will show similar issues, due to the small amount of fuel she burns.

Brian

#7 ·
I'd point out that CD's point about ethanol blend gasolines going bad more quickly is a key point to make. The ethanol is highly hygroscopic, and causes problems as the ethanol/water will separate out once the water reaches about 1.5% by volume. This is important as the ethanol is the primary octane booster in ethanol blend gasolines, and will leave the remaining fuel with about 82 octane, which is too low for most marine engines to burn properly.

#8 ·
Well

The issue is the biggest in small 3 STAR motors(all new outboards) as they have to use carbs due to cost and they have to have tiny fuel jets.

You are supposed to run them empty if not in use

I have a 2 STAR 4HP motor and have 0 issues useing a tank of fuel over a season as small outboard tanks are sealed when not in use and dont take in much water compared to a large tank with a vent

#10 ·
FWIW, I have used Berryman B-12 fuel additive on 2 and 4 stroke engines for many years with no fuel related problems. Be carefull , it will melt some plastics and paint. Still necessary to drain the carb if not using for a while. No affiliation with Berryman, just a user.

Dabnis

#11 ·
Just a couple of points come to mind. I owned a motorcycle that absolutely could not use (according to the user manual) alcohol in the fuel- it would melt the styrofoam float in the carburator. Another experience that I had. This was on an oil-injected outboard. Thinking that I didn't want gasoline to go bad and gum up my carb during periods of storage I would disconnect the fuel line and run the engine until it ran out. When I went to restart, it would almost run down my battery and then smoke like crazy. It would then clear out and run good. A mechanic told me that while running the gas out the engine was still pumping oil. Not bad on the engine but making it very hard to start. Since using fuel stabilizer I haven't had any problem.

#12 ·
Of course some of us can still buy fuel that is sold for other use.

I would expect that neither the aircraft or racing fuels suffer from the farmers political strength. Of course they are not always a direct replacement so don't read this post, go out and buy some 145 or nitromethane trash your engine and get busted by some EPA guy and then blame me. These fuels can destroy, burn and get you arrested, as can making your own.

But there are some non automotive fuels that can be used so they may address some issues. So far I've been lucky and remember to always burn off the fuel in the carb and to only use fresh fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.