Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-24-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Copper Bottom Paint....ReDux?

A couple of months ago in Cruising World, there was a blurb on the product pages about Copper Epoxy bottom paint being approved for use by the EPA in the USA. Has anyone had experience with these products? Especially in Brackish water?

The thing that appeals to me about this paint is that its purported long life. There cruising blogs that said that they only need to re-do the bottom once every 10 years!

Sure beats a $2000 yard bill every 18 months!

Last edited by night0wl; 01-24-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Some years ago, on Yachting Monthly I have read a test about a similar product.
I was not impressed (neither the testers). It works not so well as a regular anti-fouling and you have to take the boat out of water once a year to clean properly the hull.
Old 01-24-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Assuming you are talking about copper-laoded epoxies (like Copperpoxy and Copper Coat and are not actually "paints"), these products have been around for years and have had mixed performance results, typically working better in low-fouling regions. Here in the Bay Area (where we experience moderate to high fouling) these products are almost never seen anymore, because they perform so poorly.

Edit: On second read, maybe you are not referring to copper-loaded epoxies. Do you have a product name?
Old 01-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Assuming you are talking about copper-laoded epoxies (like Copperpoxy and Copper Coat and are not actually "paints"), these products have been around for years and have had mixed performance results, typically working better in low-fouling regions. Here in the Bay Area (where we experience moderate to high fouling) these products are almost never seen anymore, because they perform so poorly.

Edit: On second read, maybe you are not referring to copper-loaded epoxies. Do you have a product name?
No, you were right. It was copperpoxy or coppercoat...something along those lines. Basically an epoxy barrier coat with copper dissolved in it. You'd burnish the bottom to make it look like a shiny penny. It supposedly lasts 10 years and can be reactivated by simply sanding the bottom a bit to expose the copper.
Old 01-24-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
No, you were right. It was copperpoxy or coppercoat...something along those lines. Basically an epoxy barrier coat with copper dissolved in it. You'd burnish the bottom to make it look like a shiny penny. It supposedly lasts 10 years and can be reactivated by simply sanding the bottom a bit to expose the copper.
Well, I can't recommend these products. I rue the day they hit the market and am glad I don't run across them anymore. However, YMMV.
Old 01-26-2010

Edboat is on a distinguished road
Coppercoat should not be confused with Copperpoxy or Copperclad, or any of the other copper/epoxy coatings that have been in the US market and failed.

Coppercoat is a waterbased non-toxic, non-hazardous epoxy coating with 4.4 pounds of 99.6% pure copper powder added to each liter of epoxy before it is applied. Coppercoat was developed in England 19 years ago and has been applied to over 35,000 boats to date. It is sold in over 20 countries and just became available in the US in Feb. 2009. It is fully EPA approved, is classified as nonleaching and does not ablate like most other coatings.

Coppercoat does not claim that it is maintenance free, it needs to be cleaned from time to time like all other bottom paints.

We are the US distributors for Coppercoat and I would be glad to answer any questions anyone might have.
Old 01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edboat View Post
Coppercoat should not be confused with Copperpoxy or Copperclad, or any of the other copper/epoxy coatings that have been in the US market and failed.

Coppercoat is a waterbased non-toxic, non-hazardous epoxy coating with 4.4 pounds of 99.6% pure copper powder added to each liter of epoxy before it is applied. Coppercoat was developed in England 19 years ago and has been applied to over 35,000 boats to date. It is sold in over 20 countries and just became available in the US in Feb. 2009. It is fully EPA approved, is classified as nonleaching and does not ablate like most other coatings.

Coppercoat does not claim that it is maintenance free, it needs to be cleaned from time to time like all other bottom paints.

We are the US distributors for Coppercoat and I would be glad to answer any questions anyone might have.
Edboat -

1) what kind of warranty or longevity gaurantee can you provide if the Coppercoat product is applied by an approved yard?
2) What sorts of 10 year results can you provide? Any websites with cruiser testimonials?
3) What is the maintenance regime required by the product?
4) How is your product specifically different than the prior mentioned Copper-poxy and CopperClad products?
5) What data/evidence do you have about performance in various water temperature gradients? Does the product perform better in cold temps...warm temps...high salinity vs low salinity...etc. (Please provide data or studies to show evidence). Please speak to brackish vs salt vs fresh water and again, provide any data you may have.
6) What sorts of precautions must be taken during applicaiton & maintenance to ensure galvanic integrity of parts/systems. Do we have to change Zincs types if using Coppercoat...? Especially if a boat is kept in brackish water?

Last edited by night0wl; 01-26-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Edboat—

as a marine industry representative, I would highly recommend you listen to and follow the Special Interest guidelines as posted in the Boat Buying forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2010

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
While at the London Boat show I ran across this bottom coating system and thought it interesting.
New Cuniguard Antifouling Brings Major Savings To Boat Owners

The big difference between it and other Copper coat systems I've seen over the years is this has a single coat of epoxy applied to the hull then while still wet, a mixture of mostly copper and a bit of nickel is sprayed on with a set-up that looks similar to a powder coat sprayer.

Traditional copper coat systems mix the powder with the epoxy and then apply several coats.

I think the price quoted is retail with them doing it....looks like the material costs, if you were to act as a dealer, would be about a third.

Cleaning down to the "bedrock" is necessary.

Any one have any experience with this system...
Old 01-27-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
as a marine industry representative, I would highly recommend you listen to and follow the Special Interest guidelines as posted in the Boat Buying forum.
Realize that SailNet is hosted by a retail marine supply business. We all play by their rules, which are here to make sure that everybody plays nice. What my esteemed colleague, Mr. 'Dog, is referring to is this rule;
Quote:
IF YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY AN ACTIVE ROLE IN THIS FORUM, OR ANY FORUM ON SAILNET, AND YOU HAVE A SPECIAL INTEREST IN THE MARINE INDUSTRY, YOU NEED TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF AS SUCH. THIS INCLUDES BROKERS, BOAT MANUFACTURERS OR EMPLOYEES THEREOF, MAGAZINES, TV SHOWS, SURVEYORS AND ANY OTHER SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP.

The Ground Rules (which may be added to as needed) for this are such:

1) You shall not in any way self promote...this includes links or e-mail addresses.

2) You shall identify yourself and your interest in your signature, your title, or both.

3) You shall not openly promote your company. Take out an ad. [with SailNet]

4) You shall not redirect for personal interests.

5) You SHALL be tranparent and forthright.
That said, you have followed the rules, and, to my knowledge (I'm not a moderator), there is no issue with publicly answering a question, once it has been asked in a forum. You may want to edit your signature / title to more closely adhere to point #2. (BTW - Is Mr. Smith still active here?)

On the flip side, to not publicly answer a question leads readers to infer their own conclusion. To be honest, I'm interested in Night0wl's questions too.

Quote:
1) what kind of warranty or longevity gaurantee can you provide if the Coppercoat product is applied by an approved yard?
2) What sorts of 10 year results can you provide? Any websites with cruiser testimonials?
3) What is the maintenance regime required by the product?
4) How is your product specifically different than the prior mentioned Copper-poxy and CopperClad products?
5) What data/evidence do you have about performance in various water temperature gradients? Does the product perform better in cold temps...warm temps...high salinity vs low salinity...etc. (Please provide data or studies to show evidence). Please speak to brackish vs salt vs fresh water and again, provide any data you may have.
6) What sorts of precautions must be taken during applicaiton & maintenance to ensure galvanic integrity of parts/systems. Do we have to change Zincs types if using Coppercoat...? Especially if a boat is kept in brackish water?
Thanks In Advance! (TIA!)

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.