Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-25-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Even My J24 has bow chocks and without them the line will chew right through the gelcoat and deck in a matter of days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2010

CascoBay is on a distinguished road
Given the design of my bow, I just cant get bow chocks in there that would do any good, unless I am looking at it wrong.

One more vote for a bow eye hook up then?

No chafe that way.
Old 01-25-2010
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
I vote for the bow eye for two reasons:
1) Chafe problems are virtually eliminated
2) The mooring pendant will be more horizontal, effectively increasing the "scope" of the mooring system.

Just be sure that your bow eye is securely fastened with robust backing blocks. It should be at least as strong as any mooring cleats.

Old 01-25-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
A few thoughts:

1) How did you confirm your chain length? Most harbor masters around here will tell you specifically how much scope you can have for your moorings actual lat/lon location. Too much and you bump your neighbors. Too little and you drag.

2) Your bow cleats should be fine. Having had boats and family boats on moorings for over 40+ years, 15 of them in the open ocean not a harbor, I find I actually prefer edge mounted cleats.

They give you two lines to have to chafe through at each cleat when you fold the eye and if they are close enough to the edge and you have enough pendant scope you get little to no chafe with them. Our current boat has a beautiful cast stainless bow plate with integral chocks that are very, very smooth. I get MORE chafe with this set up than I did on my Catalina's with edge mounted cleats. The distance between the chock and cleat allows for stretch and rebound. This is what causes chafe, the movement. With edge mounted cleats you get little to no stretch and rebound effect thus minimizing chafe. You do however want to have a smooth lip or toe rail edge and or stainless half rounds to protect the gelcoat.

3) Swivels are the weak link and should be considerably over-sized. I use a 1" swivel on a 36 footer and it is replaced ever four or five years or sooner depending on wear. The best location for them is directly under the ball where you are placing it as it can more easily be inspected.

4) Be sure your 12' of pendant is enough. You do not want a sharp angle off the bow. Sharp angles cause more wear & tear than long low angles.

Even with the bow high in the air you still don't want a very steep angle.

Proper length:

Too Short for a harbor with any exposure:

5) Have you considered Yale Polydyne pendants? They are amazingly tough, abrasion resistant and stretchy. In Falmouth they survive storms far better than three strand. Even with both having chafe protection. Mine have survived a number of Nor'Easters with no issues, including this one.

Nor' Easter Video

6) As for the connection to the swivel I use an over-sized CM load rated shackle. The pendants are then laces together with floats to keep them in the same orientation. The trick is to put one very close to the shackle to keep the pendants in tension against the underside of the ball so that can't droop, kink & tangle.

Two Yale Polydyne Pendants, one shackle:

7) Un-equal length pendants are a safer choice. With two equal length pendants you can have nearly equal wear. With one pendant longer than the other as a secondary or back up pendant it becomes the perfectly brand new pendant when the primary use pendant fails. Some boat will sail at anchor no matter what you do. My mooring guy services over 1000 moorings and uses un-equal length pendants. The have not lost a boat in years..

8) Lace on some floats to prevent ball tangles. Also if you have an anchor make sure it can not interfere with the pendants.

9) Bow eyes can be a decent option IF and only IF it is robust enough in design. It can avoid chafe issues and pendant angle issues. Sadly though most are not designed or robust enough for shock loading. My neighbor pulled one out of a small O'Day..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-25-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2010

Maine Sail, thanks a lot for all the info.

I can check my bow eye. I can tell you that I have loaded it pretty hard on the trailer and never had it move, but can certainly inspect the eye and backer plate.

If I do go with the bow hook, I would attach it to the pennant with a stainless shackle load rated. However, I am unsure how I could attach the pennant at the ball end easily.

My boat is a 25' cuddy cabin cruiser at about 7000 lbs.
Old 01-25-2010

Liquorice is on a distinguished road

- Even better then!!! :-)

Great post!
I keep my boat on a summer mooring and I'm always looking for good ideas.
I use a bow eye about 1/2 way up the stem; 2 x 3 strand nylon lines with snubbers; one longer than the other; I also use a slack "insurance line" through the top eye on the ball and to each cleat on either side of the bow. Never been needed but I sleep better.
Hadn't thought about the small floats - great idea!

sam :-)
Old 01-25-2010

The best snap hook I could find.

It is a Wichard #2328 with a working load of 3175 lbs and a breaking strength of much more.

What do you guys think? The pin hole is large enough (.75") to fit a shackle pin through to attach it to a pennant.
Old 01-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not a big fan of snap hooks for a mooring setup. The shock loads on a mooring pennant can be many times the working load. Also, stainless steel has a nasty habit of weakening without much warning and then snapping under a sudden load. Galvanized hardware will generally rust a bit before getting to the point where it will fail, and gives you at least some visible indication of a problem.

You still haven't said anything about the displacement/weight of your boat. Depending on what it is, may affect how well the gear you've posted is going to work. I use a 3/4" mooring pennant for my boat, and it only displaces about 4000 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascoBay View Post

The best snap hook I could find.

It is a Wichard #2328 with a working load of 3175 lbs and a breaking strength of much more.

What do you guys think? The pin hole is large enough (.75") to fit a shackle pin through to attach it to a pennant.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-25-2010

See post #15 above

My boat is a 25' cuddy cabin cruiser at about 7000 lbs.
Old 01-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How exposed is this public beach???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.