SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

props - fixed 3 blade vs folding / feathering 2 blade

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cruisingmom 
#1 ·
Hello,

Due to some maintenance I need a new prop shaft. so I figure this could be a good time to upgrade the prop. I currently have a 3 blade fixed prop. I am thinking of changing to a folding or feathering prop.

I don't race but sailing performance is important to me. However, I go on a few weekend or longer trips a year, and on those trips I plan on traveling at 6 kts wind or no wind. With my 3 blade prop I can easily motor at 6.5 - 7 kts.

If you have a 2 blade prop, folding or feathering, how is your performance under power? Note that I really only care about speed in forward. My boat is on a mooring and I rarely have to back up.

I am thinking of getting a Flex o Fold prop or maybe a Martec Slipstream folding prop.

Thanks!

Barry

#2 ·
Barry -
I don't have any info about 3 blade performance, just wanted to say that when we purchased our boat it had 2 blade folding Martecs on it. We switched to Flex-o-Fold 2 blades and were much happier with the performance, especially in reverse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.