SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bottom paint advice for day sailor

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  speter01 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I am preparing to re-do the bottom paint on my boat and am struggling to find the best solution. My boat is an O'Day Mariner. This is my first time re-doing the bottom. I trailer it to fresh water lakes or the coast typically for a weekend at a time. The boat spends most of the time on the trailer. I don't race it, cruising only.

After reading the appropriate sections of Don Casey's sailboat maintenance book I was leaning toward the standard, copolymer anti-fouling paint (Interlux micron extra). But I'm wondering if this is completely over-kill for a day sailor.

I then looked into epaint EP-ZO as a less toxic alternative. Coulnd't find aything on their site indicating how it holds up out of the water. I am skeptical since they indicate more layers at the waterline are needed to offset the increased sun exposure.

It seems there should be a obvious solution, but I don't seem to be converging on it. The existing bottom paint is a white chalky ablative coating thats in pretty rough shape. Not sure what it is. I was going to test Franmar Soy Strip for removal as it seems a better way to capture particulate than just going at it with a hook scraper.

Any advice is appreciated

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks.

Searching on this site I see that everyone is stripping to fiberglass and applying Interprotect 2000E under the VC17m. I assume that is for blister protection for boats that live in the water? For a trailer boat is it ok to strip the ablative coat, sand, prep, and apply the VC17m?

#4 ·
The Interprotect 2000e is also used as a primer/tie coat for the VC17m IIRC. It isn't just used as a barrier coating.

#5 · (Edited)
A friend of mine had a Rhodes Mariner 19' - basically the same boat - that he used as a trailer sailor. Nice boat and sails well for it's size as long as you didn't drop the center board into a creek! Ooops.
As you know, one of the great things about being a trailer sailor is that all you really need to do is wash the hull off with a hose in most cases and you are good to go - so no growth build up on the bottom at all. Therefore no reason to put anti fouling paint on the bottom - if it is in good shape to begin with.
I am not sure if the hulls of these boats were gel-coated from the factory or if a PO of your boat has already put a hard bottom paint on her. If the hull surface is old gel-coat that is cracked, chipped or otherwise dinged up then I would suggest thinking about repairing the gel-coat rather then the whole 'barrier coat then paint' thing. If you are sure there is paint on the hull then by all means, have at it and prepare your bottom for a new paint job. Why do you think you need to barrier coat your hull now (not that it is a bad idea - just extra work)?
My $.02, for what its worth.
Edit to add: I would not be 'married' to any particular bottom paint like VC17 (which is great for fresh water BTW). VC17 is expensive (not so much for your 19 footer) but there are other hard paints you might consider since you say you do some salt water sailing as well.

#6 ·
If the boat will spend any time at all living in the water, it needs anti fouling paint. As previously mentioned, you don't need to kick down the big spank for a high performance product. Your biggest concern need only be using a paint that can withstand prolonged periods out of the water.

#7 ·
And that is just an opinion from someone who makes their living from cleaning other peoples boat bottoms. If you think a dirty bottom slows you down then think what it does to your boat!
The 'dry sailor' racers at our club mostly have gel coat bottoms and they wash them after each immersion. In fact many competitive one design classes will lightly sand their hulls with #1000 grit and wax their bottoms before each race or regatta. Your original post said that you don't race and mostly do a few overnights at a time though so that kind of anal prep is unlikely by you or me.
I stand by my assertion that gel coat will hold up longer then ANY bottom paint and if you can get a portable electric power washer you can always clean your bottom before it slows you down (don't use it on yourself though).
It really depends on what is on your hull right now. Is it paint or is it gel coat? No pics? No can tell.
Don't be coerced into thinking you need to sand down or scrape your hull and 'barrier coat' it unless you really enjoy working on your boat.
Pics would help a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.