SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Navionics Annoyance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/61578-navionics-annoyance.html)

danielgoldberg 01-26-2010 05:19 PM

Navionics Annoyance

Not sure what genius devised this idea. Navionics used to have their charts cover from the US east coast to Bermuda, including Bermuda. They had a couple of different ones, but they had them. Now, the chart covers from the US east coast right up to Bermuda, but then stops some miles short. The actual Bermuda chart, that one is included with their Carribbean chip, which doesn't cover the distance between Bermuda and the Carribbean mind you. Nope, it covers the Carribbean, and then Bermuda too, but not all that water in between.

Seems to me pretty blatant that they set this up so that you are required to buy two chips if you want to go to Bermuda. Not very consumer friendly, and if I were buying a chartplotter today that definitely would be a consideration for me (anyone from Raymarine or Northstar reading?). I'm sure this will make a lot of Bermuda racers quite happy too (dripping with sarcasm in case that's not evident).

With that, does anyone have a Navionics Gold+16XG (NOT the 16XG-2), or the Platinum 905P, that they'd be willing to part with for a fair price? They would need to be produced in 2008 or earlier. If I can't find one from an alternative source, then I'm stuck spending $500 for two chips. I'm checking E-Bay, for so far no joy, so I figured I'd check here.

Thanks all.

bljones 01-26-2010 05:42 PM

Dan, I answered your thread on A-S. :)

danielgoldberg 01-26-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 563981)
Dan, I answered your thread on A-S. :)

I replied to your thread answer in the thread on AS.

LydiaD 01-28-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielgoldberg (Post 563973)
Not sure what genius devised this idea. Navionics used to have their charts cover from the US east coast to Bermuda, including Bermuda. They had a couple of different ones, but they had them. Now, the chart covers from the US east coast right up to Bermuda, but then stops some miles short. The actual Bermuda chart, that one is included with their Carribbean chip, which doesn't cover the distance between Bermuda and the Carribbean mind you. Nope, it covers the Carribbean, and then Bermuda too, but not all that water in between.

Seems to me pretty blatant that they set this up so that you are required to buy two chips if you want to go to Bermuda. Not very consumer friendly, and if I were buying a chartplotter today that definitely would be a consideration for me (anyone from Raymarine or Northstar reading?). I'm sure this will make a lot of Bermuda racers quite happy too (dripping with sarcasm in case that's not evident).

With that, does anyone have a Navionics Gold+16XG (NOT the 16XG-2), or the Platinum 905P, that they'd be willing to part with for a fair price? They would need to be produced in 2008 or earlier. If I can't find one from an alternative source, then I'm stuck spending $500 for two chips. I'm checking E-Bay, for so far no joy, so I figured I'd check here.

Thanks all.

Dan, Your feedback is important to us and has been passed on to our Product Manager for future consideration and product development. Lydia DeSousa, Navionics CS Manager

brak 01-28-2010 04:46 PM

That's pretty cool of Navionics to answer customer concerns this way.

Sorry for the thread hijacking, but I wonder if I can get them to provide us the API to include Navionics charts in PolarView. Lydia, may be you could help? I had no luck with direct contacts - they refused to provide the cross-platform API to me (even though presumably a free chart viewer would only benefit Navionics, providing additional customers)

danielgoldberg 01-28-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LydiaD (Post 564681)
Dan, Your feedback is important to us and has been passed on to our Product Manager for future consideration and product development. Lydia DeSousa, Navionics CS Manager

Thanks for your response Lydia. I guess you also ought to know that the chips covering all the way from the US east coast to Bermuda have sold off of E-Bay like hotcakes, and they're hard to get. Point being, I am far from alone.

And while I do appreciate the notion that you folks will consider this in future chips, needless to say, that's not helping me or my fleet much this year! :( And joking aside, once a sailor buys the two chips, they're not really going to buy a third in the future after you address the situation (if you do). Again, I don't want to be overly aggressive with you, because I do appreciate that you came on here to respond, and thanks for that. And other than giving me a free chip :rolleyes: , I also appreciate that there's not much you can do for me at this point.

Oh, and while you're here taking suggestions ;), how about loading Explorer Charts onto Navionics chips for the Bahamas!

Smooth sailing to you and the folks at Navionics. Very seriously.

LydiaD 01-29-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielgoldberg (Post 564707)
Thanks for your response Lydia. I guess you also ought to know that the chips covering all the way from the US east coast to Bermuda have sold off of E-Bay like hotcakes, and they're hard to get. Point being, I am far from alone.

And while I do appreciate the notion that you folks will consider this in future chips, needless to say, that's not helping me or my fleet much this year! :( And joking aside, once a sailor buys the two chips, they're not really going to buy a third in the future after you address the situation (if you do). Again, I don't want to be overly aggressive with you, because I do appreciate that you came on here to respond, and thanks for that. And other than giving me a free chip :rolleyes: , I also appreciate that there's not much you can do for me at this point.

Oh, and while you're here taking suggestions ;), how about loading Explorer Charts onto Navionics chips for the Bahamas!

Smooth sailing to you and the folks at Navionics. Very seriously.

Dan, thank you for the additional feedback this too has been passed on. As for Explorer...wait until you see our new Bahamas charts scheduled for release in a few months. My Product Manager tells me that you'll feel Explorer is a thing of the past!! Lydia :)

LydiaD 01-29-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brak (Post 564694)
That's pretty cool of Navionics to answer customer concerns this way.

Sorry for the thread hijacking, but I wonder if I can get them to provide us the API to include Navionics charts in PolarView. Lydia, may be you could help? I had no luck with direct contacts - they refused to provide the cross-platform API to me (even though presumably a free chart viewer would only benefit Navionics, providing additional customers)

We would like to look into this a little further. When referring to PolarView, are you refering to tracking of ice caps or is PolarView a specific software program? Could you further explain what you are looking for in an interface program? Lydia

brak 01-29-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LydiaD (Post 565039)
We would like to look into this a little further. When referring to PolarView, are you refering to tracking of ice caps or is PolarView a specific software program? Could you further explain what you are looking for in an interface program? Lydia

Lydia - PolarView is our cross platform (Windows/MacOS/Linux) ENC chart planner and part of PolarIS navigation system (no relation to the ice monitoring program :) ). We support S57/S63 charts (as well as BSB raster charts) and are looking to add support for other chart formats - in particular Navionics are of great interest. More information and applications can be found at Polar Navy . Any help in this matter would certainly be very much appreciated!