Old as Dirt!
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Thanked 144 Times in 137 Posts
Rep Power: 8
FWIW in 1987 I used 5/16" teak and holly veneer plywood to cover the sole in the main cabin of our, then, 1976 Cal 2-29. We made a pattern out of brown butcher paper and laid it out on the back of the plywood. After shaping, we then used a mat-knife to score the back side at 2" intervals both fore'n aft and transversely. This allowed the ply to conform to the curvature of the sole without splitting. The material was temporarily held in place with #10 wood screws while we installed #10 flacehead wood screw, counter-sunk so they could be covered with plugs. The rows of screws were approximately 18" apart. We framed around the openings to the bilge, and the covers with 1" by 5/16" teak strips with mitered corners. The plugs were shaved flat with a very sharp small hand plane. The whole surface was roughened with 220 grit paper and covered with 9-10 coats of Minwax Helmsman Semi-gloss urathane and a final coat of the mMinwax Urethane made for hardwood floors which is much more durable. The most difficult part of the job was sculpting 1"x2" moldings around the edges which took a long time as the teak doesn't bend too readily and that was before I knew the trick of making a steam box our of cardboard, foil and foam.
It was a job but the end result was very pleasing. By keeping the deck clean and free of sand, and periodicly scuffing it up and applying a new coat of clear floor vurathane, it looked as new we we sold the boat in 2003.
Below you can see a bit of the sole and the decking on the step at the foot of the companionway (that was not fastened down but served double duty as a table-top in the cockpit).
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Last edited by svHyLyte; 02-04-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Reason: Correct typos!