SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Teak and Holly Veneer Only? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/61594-teak-holly-veneer-only.html)

brianontheroad 01-27-2010 09:45 PM

Teak and Holly Veneer Only?

Does it exist? my google searches have come up nil, just synthetics and then a few random places that I have to call to order, obviously they put the veneer on plywood but I can't find it anywhere

thanks for any help :)

Brian

sailingfool 01-27-2010 10:22 PM

I just took my 14 floor pieces to a local full service lumber yard. They ordered the teak/holly ply received it in a day, and had replacement pieces cut within the week of my order. They fit quite well.

brianontheroad 01-27-2010 10:28 PM

I have a fiberglass sole, I just want to cover it with a veneer...local wood companies will be my next check, but was hoping to find something and a general price range on the internet

thanks!

davidpm 01-27-2010 10:57 PM

Even if you found it preparing the fiberglass properly seems like a miserable job. Then applying it, then dealing with edges and holes. Seems like a bad idea to me.
Putting down some plywood over the glass would be a lot easier and probably last longer, be easier to repair I doubt if it would be much more money as the cost is in the veneer anyway.

You can buy it at Jamestown Distributors at only 1/4" thick..

mitiempo 01-28-2010 01:25 AM

The reason you can't find teak and holly in veneer form is because it would all be strips and hell to glue on. Best to buy the ply as that is what holds it together. It's available from 3mm to 3/4" near me so probably in those thicknesses near you as well. Pricey though. $225 for 3mm to $315 for 3/4" here. Any good exotic wood supplier should have it or be able to get it.

tager 01-28-2010 01:41 AM

Cork!

sailingdog 01-28-2010 10:36 AM

I would go with a vinyl teak-holly sole, rather than a veneer. Veneers are pretty thin and if you have any damage to it, you'll probably have to re-do a section of it all over again.

cormeum 01-28-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 564528)
I would go with a vinyl teak-holly sole, rather than a veneer. Veneers are pretty thin and if you have any damage to it, you'll probably have to re-do a section of it all over again.

We have 45 years on our veneer on ply sole- I'd rate it "durable".

kaluvic 01-28-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cormeum (Post 564529)
We have 45 years on our veneer on ply sole- I'd rate it "durable".

Thatís probably some thick veneer...also the quality of the teak (if its Teak) 45years ago was FAR better than most of what you would find today.
Most veneers we find over here are 0.5mm
Why not use conventional teak strips 5mm thick by 500mm wide and glue them down with PU glue or thickened epoxy?
Do you have much to do?

Also the stuff Sailingdog mentions if you find nice stuff thatís not so expensive.

Faster 01-28-2010 11:48 AM

In our area (near to Mitiempo) it's available in 1/4" and 1/2" sheets... the quarter is around $250/sheet and the 1/2 is $300 (4'x8') Considering that you'd likely have to laminate the 1/4" stuff to marine ply anyway, the 1/2" is the better way to go if that's strong enough on its own.

Builders such as Beneteau are using synthetics nowadays.. to my eye it doesn't quite have the "look".. they've gotten away from the contrasting white strips.

Nothing quite dresses up an old boat like a new sole... It would be interesting to compare the stuff SD refers to.... I've not seen it around.