SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Connector for running a wire through the deck

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  arf145 
#1 ·
I'm running a cable, probably flat boat wire (14AWG/2), from a solar panel that's off the stern rail and need to go through the upper transom right below the hull/deck joint. I see there are through-deck connectors that will keep things sealed up and make it easy to disconnect. Any recommendations on the best one for the job?

BTW, the reason I'm probably not going through the deck is that there's little of it back there except a 2" lip that really isn't flat and serves as a water trough.

#2 ·
I'm running a cable, probably flat boat wire (14AWG/2), from a solar panel that's off the stern rail and need to go through the upper transom right below the hull/deck joint. I see there are through-deck connectors that will keep things sealed up and make it easy to disconnect. Any recommendations on the best one for the job?

BTW, the reason I'm probably not going through the deck is that there's little of it back there except a 2" lip that really isn't flat and serves as a water trough.
We used one of these to run our LPG pipe through the deck. Been in for four or five years now and no sign of any leaks. Doesn't seem to have deterioated in the sun either.

NEWMAR CCX-R WATERPROOF FITTING 1.38" MAX DIAMETER Shop.Sailnet.com - sailing resources, shopping, sail, blogs

#4 ·
A few yeas ago I used a very similar item to the one TDW showed but the difference was the piece of rubber in the middle was Not Pre-cut so you could make your own drilled holes and slits for multiple wires or off shaped ones. Cable Clam keeps coming to mind but that could very well be wrong. I it got at either W.M. or Defender.

#6 ·
tdw, those look good, but I'm more interested in one that has an unpluggable electrical connector, not just a sea gland.

#8 ·
you can get1 to 4 pole connectors like what yuo want at Defender and Hamilton Marine in Me. i have them on my boat for connecting the auto pilot power when i use it . they screw on caps with chains attached. i have others for the radar power plug and those have o rings (which are greased)on the male end and the cap just pushes on. these last ones i don't see in stores anymore but the first are still avail.

#9 ·
JSL, that one looks interesting, though from the picture I can't quite make out how it sticks up 2 3/8" and which part is the plug. I'm not married to the flat cable, and in fact if it's going to an exterior connector, I guess it won't matter--I can do the flat from the inside part.

Mike, I'll check the Hamilton catalog for those. I have actually done my online and catalog search, and saw many of these options, but am missing the real world experience with them. I hate to buy without some idea of what I'm getting first. Is this one of the ones you are talking about from Hamilton:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.