Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Sea water strainer for engine intake - flat

Hi All...

I'm looking for something like this:

West Marine: Cast Bronze Round Strainers Product Display 710&Ne=0&Ntt=strainer&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=30&Ns=0&keyword=strainer&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum=70&classNum=217

But flat instead of domed. I have a strainer that sticks out like this one does. Very slow!

Thanks...

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Jim
You're better off without a strainer over the through hull as they can clog easily and there is no way to clear them while in the water. A better idea is to install one of these inside to strain out debris. West Marine: Raw Water Strainer Product Display 710&Ne=0&Ntt=strainers&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=strainers&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum=70&classNum=71
But there are better prices than West. Check Jamestown oe Defender.
Old 01-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second what MiTiempo said. However, I'd recommend these strainers instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2010

Here are a couple more, a Groco for less and a Sherwood for a lot less. There are lots to choose from and they don't all price like jewellery.
Attached Thumbnails
Sea water strainer for engine intake - flat-stra.jpg   Sea water strainer for engine intake - flat-str.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010

Thanks everyone, my boat actually has an inline raw water strainer already, in addition to the cover over the intake.

So you guys just have a big hole to take the raw water in? I was worried something large could get sucked in that way. Its not a problem?

Thanks...

Jim

Old 01-30-2010

Jim
Both types can clog. But the strainer type can't be unplugged in the water easily. With the open type you can remove the inboard end of the hose and put a rod or smaller hose through to clear it. As long as the inboard end of the hose reaches above the waterline no water gets in the boat.
Old 01-30-2010

CaptnAl is on a distinguished road
Heresy Alert!
I don't have a strainer of any type in my raw water engine intake, and have not had a clog in the nine years of substantial sailing/racing on the upper Chesapeake. It may be very relevant that my boat has a saildrive, where the intake is a series of slots on the vertical drive section, located just aft of the keel. We do get grass caught on the keel leading edge, which is a frustration especially in a race, but none has made it into the engine intake.

Think Spring!

Last edited by CaptnAl; 01-30-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-2010

Sorry to revive an old thread... I am getting considerable push back from the guys doing the bottom on leaving the strainer off. So I am posting here for moral support

Old 05-05-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread... I am getting considerable push back from the guys doing the bottom on leaving the strainer off. So I am posting here for moral support
Having dealt with many a plugged external strainer I no longer use them. No fun diving with a coat hanger. We get LOTS of floating crap in the water during spring tides that reach up on our 3000+ miles of coast line and pull all the crap on the beach back into the bays. I instead bump my intakes to 1" and use sweep ells as opposed to 90's before the 1" Perko 0493 series strainer. This allows the vast percentage of the stuff to make it to the strainer.

Once eel grass or similar gets into a slotted or round strainer it becomes nearly impossible to remove unless you have the ability to open it. The round opening style was designed specifically for sailboats and the holes are far better than the slotted type are keeping stuff out. If you put one on definitely go for the Groco round opening type. They are cheaper at Hamilton.

PS If you use a "scoop" strainer be sure to face it aft so it is not in "scoop" mode. The forward orientation is for power boats.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-05-2010

Thanks MS, my primary concern is with reducing drag. So I'm thinking no scoop is the way to go. But the thru hull does stick out a bit :-(