Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2010

jhack82 is on a distinguished road
Scaling in the potable water

Hello, I live aboard a 32 foot Endeavour, 1975, and I am having a problem develop in my potable water system. It has been slowly getting worse and I can't seem to figure out a way to fix it. I am hoping someone can give me a hand, I haven't found anything about this online or on the forum.

I am not sure if scaling is the proper word, but i think its some kind of growth on the tubing walls. here are my symptoms;
-odd taste to the water that goes away if boiled
-I can pieces of a brownish film come out of the foot pump faucet
-taste is worst in pressure side right as it comes out, once the tubing has been flushed a little, the taste is noticeably weaker. It also bubbles as it comes out initially and that stops as well after 10 seconds or so.

My water system is a mix of pressure and non-pressure. I have a pressure side which gives flow to a hot water heater and a faucet/shower combo in the head and a galley sink. Both have pressure hot and cold. on the non pressure side i have a foot pump in the head and galley. The pressure side is plumbed with PEX tubing and the non pressure side is that clear vinyl stuff that has the FDA numbers on it. I got it from the local Ace hardware.

I recently (within the last 6 months) re-plumbed the entire boat with new tubing I do have a very fine filter on the output of the water tank before it goes anywhere

any help would be appreicated, thanks again

Jordan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2010

gulfcoastcruiser is on a distinguished road
Have you tried flushing your system with a diluted bleach solution?
Old 01-29-2010

jhack82 is on a distinguished road
no, i haven't. The docks water supply is off til febuaury, but it's not like i'm using that water anyways, huh? how much dilution is recommended? i have a 65 gallon tank on board. and thanks for the quick reply

jordan
Old 01-29-2010

gulfcoastcruiser is on a distinguished road
I used about a cup or two on my 20 gallon tank, but I was still using the water with bleach added for hand washing, dishes etc. You may want to go a little stronger if you just plan to flush it out. Maybe 8 cups or so. You don't want to mix it too strong since you have to stay there I assume.

After you add the bleach run all your faucets so that there is bleach solution in the lines and let it sit overnight, then continue flushing out all the lines. Then refill your tanks with fresh water and see if the problem is gone if not repeat with stronger bleach solution. That should do the trick.

I read somewhere, I believe in this forum about a guy that added half a bottle of white wine to his water tank, but I have never tried that myself.
Old 01-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jhack82—

I would highly recommend you follow Peggie Hall's shock treating directions. You can find them HERE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Chlorine and caustic (high pH) will remove organics (bacteria). Scaling is caused by salts that crystalize, and are removed by acids (low pH). Weak acids like citric or acetic (vinegar) will remove salts. Take the solids you get and put them in a glass with some vinegar. If they dissolve you have scaling if you don't it is probably biological fouling that chlorine and caustic, sodium hydroxide (lye) would remove.

Hope this helps
Old 01-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the brown stuff in water lines is generally biological, not scaling, which is usually calcium based salts and white or greyish in color.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Agree with all of the above. Also consider a putting in a filter at your sink fixture. It works for me and they don't cost much
Old 01-30-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
At work we would call it BIO-FILM and you got it going on to the point you may need to take some things apart and replace some hose to get it good again

I just happened to take some pictures this week when i changed some filters that are the first line of defense against "clean water" and it should show why you need to filter what goes in.

filters at 6 week change about 150,000 gallons

Now if you look at the water in a glass it looks and tests fine BUT there is always a lot of TDS "total dissolved solids" that bring a lot of stuff along to feed the bacteria

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-30-2010

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
In theory water that has been ran through a water softener should be better as the WS removes calcium etc. The best type would be the ones that are recharged with acid instead of salt. Bacteria require certain minerals to survive and grow. I would not add vinegar as bacteria can eat the stuff when it is dilute. Reverse osmosis water is very good too.