Need to change out my old DMI system, lasy year I had to replace some of the pieces by purchasing new depth transducer from the DMI outfit in MA, but by the end of the season the depth sounder stopped working a few times. I think the "brain" of the system is on its way out, Im not sure it makes sense messing around with it any longer.
Since this is my first post, I am unable to include the defender links for the two systems complete, but the info is there.
Aside from the obvious that the Tactick is wireless my concerns are
1. Reliability of data transmission from the wind unit atop the mast (wireless)
2. Placing of the tacktick display units. Currently I have a tri-mount on top my Edison pedestal. But it is my understanding that if I wanted to mount the new tacktick displays there I would need to hardwire the power because the light sensors would be inside the housing (still not sure they would fit). Which to me, seems to defeat the purpose of the wireless system. I suppose I could mount them elsewhere but I admit I like having the data right at the wheel!
If I purschase the raymarine I will be able to put the display units in the exsisting housing like it was always there
3. I believe that if I purchase the tacktick system, my garmin GPS will be able to communicate with the tridata display via NMEA interface which comes with the system. (not sure if whatever connector is included with the Raymarine System)
Any idea if I would be able to hook this up to the ST60 as well?
4. Price, talking about a 1k difference in price.
Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
I am looking forward to be able to intergrate the GPS and get true and apparent wind data, this is crucial for me.
5. Lastely, not sure what I would do with the decent size hole on the interior nav station from the older "brain system"
Will be installed on small 27 footer that we use for weekending in buzzards bay.