Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-31-2010

sailoneroad is on a distinguished road
Talking Instrument Change Ramarine ST60 OR Tacktick T104???

HI ALL!!
Need to change out my old DMI system, lasy year I had to replace some of the pieces by purchasing new depth transducer from the DMI outfit in MA, but by the end of the season the depth sounder stopped working a few times. I think the "brain" of the system is on its way out, Im not sure it makes sense messing around with it any longer.

Since this is my first post, I am unable to include the defender links for the two systems complete, but the info is there.

Aside from the obvious that the Tactick is wireless my concerns are

1. Reliability of data transmission from the wind unit atop the mast (wireless)

2. Placing of the tacktick display units. Currently I have a tri-mount on top my Edison pedestal. But it is my understanding that if I wanted to mount the new tacktick displays there I would need to hardwire the power because the light sensors would be inside the housing (still not sure they would fit). Which to me, seems to defeat the purpose of the wireless system. I suppose I could mount them elsewhere but I admit I like having the data right at the wheel!
If I purschase the raymarine I will be able to put the display units in the exsisting housing like it was always there

3. I believe that if I purchase the tacktick system, my garmin GPS will be able to communicate with the tridata display via NMEA interface which comes with the system. (not sure if whatever connector is included with the Raymarine System)
Any idea if I would be able to hook this up to the ST60 as well?

4. Price, talking about a 1k difference in price.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

I am looking forward to be able to intergrate the GPS and get true and apparent wind data, this is crucial for me.

5. Lastely, not sure what I would do with the decent size hole on the interior nav station from the older "brain system"

Will be installed on small 27 footer that we use for weekending in buzzards bay.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I was faced with some of the same as you a few years back, old Datamarine that was failing. I went without depth for two years on the bay because I was taking sooo long to decide between TT or Ray and others.

I couldn't resist purchasing my TackTick from Defender during one of their sales, I paid well under $2000.00 plus TT threw in a remote. If I remember correctly its was about a $500.00 difference, once I considered installation, and sale price, the decision to go TT was easy.

The only issue I have ever had with TT is the wind info has stopped transmitting on a few occasions, usually when I take the unit below to the nav station (The remote has always worked well)

Typically I have the displays mounted forward on the bulkhead in the cockpit when its just us, (easier to read). When many people are aboard, I keep the displays at the helm. (TT sends two mountings plates for each item) I made my own mounts for both areas very easily out of starboard, perhaps you could do so.

Being able to take the remote (which show a heck of alot of info) with me when sleeping aboard to check info without getting out of the bunk is a bonus

FWIW, for your kind of sailing...I would think TT makes the most sense.

Edit: Paid just over $1700.00 and a free remote through Defender last Spring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 01-31-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
I also had the 4" dia DMI units as factory installed from the previous owners. I had ST50's on my Santana525 and loved them, friends had ST60's and they worked well. I chose to replace the DMI with ST60's with the flush mount option to fit the 4" holes from the DMI units. The ST60's can display their data on the RAY30 chart plotter. nice feature. The 4" holes have a little clearance to the back side of the ST60 instruments, but its not that bad, I've seen worse....
The PCB on the speed display was necessary to convert the low level signal from the DMI speed transducer to a 0 to 12 volt signal that the ST60 speed needed for input.
Attached Thumbnails
Instrument Change Ramarine ST60 OR Tacktick T104???-st60flush2.jpg   Instrument Change Ramarine ST60 OR Tacktick T104???-st60flush.jpg  
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 01-31-2010

hump180 is on a distinguished road
As far as using your edson instrument mount, you can purchases a new faceplate and mount the instruments to it. You do not have to recess them like a wired unit. http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinesto...roducts_id=884
Old 01-31-2010

hump180 is on a distinguished road
Now I will mention that I have purchases a set of tacktick instruments to install in the spring and I will tell you what concerns I have after playing with them. The backlights are very dim, the wind instrument has small text and seems hard to see. Now, I have not tried them in actual sailing conditions and they may prove to be good enough. As far as battery life and such these come highly recommended with the bugs worked out.
Old 01-31-2010

catamount is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I really like my Nexus NX2 system.

The SailNet Store carries the line, although they don't have the best price available ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 01-31-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2010

sailoneroad is on a distinguished road
Thanks so far for the input, it is appreciated.

T37, thanks for your input and sounds like you got an amazing deal on the system! Was this during their annual spring warehouse sale?

Hump & T37 I think you both have a great idea with creating some kind of plate for the tacktick system to mount on. This way I would be able to keep the display at the pedestal.

Hump: If I recall correctly, I remember reading a section in the Tacktick manual that allows for adjustment of the backlight, there were a variety of settings, one that even allowed for the turning off of the backlight to save battery power. Perhaps It can be adjusted to a higher level? Please let me know if you have any time/luck with that.

Any info on the connection to Garmin gps 276c with either system?

Anyone know what would be required to connect the gps and the tacktick vs the raymarine?
Old 01-31-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
yes, I purchased from their annual spring sale.

There are four settings for the back-light, off, 1, 2, 3. I find the displays easy to read day, night...except from more than a 45 degree angle.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've got the TackTick system and have been pretty happy with it. The T104 system comes with a NMEA interface unit and connects to the GPS and autopilot just fine. I'd point out that connecting the Garmin to the Raymarine gear will require getting a SeaTalk-to-NMEA bridge, and that is a fairly expensive option. I'd also point out that I replaced my Raymarine ST60 gear with the TackTick system.

As for mounting the display heads... I did something a bit novel. I installed a Beckson 5" x 12" port and mounted the instrument displays on the port itself, as seen here:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-01-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Dad has the Tacktick and we have had the same transmission failures as T37.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: