SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   hard dodger vs soft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/6169-hard-dodger-vs-soft.html)

heidi-peter 02-02-2003 03:01 PM

hard dodger vs soft

We are outfitting our southern cross 39. I am seriousley considering a hard dodger the boat needs all new canvas any thoughts?

h37skipper 02-04-2003 09:41 AM

hard dodger vs soft

Personal thing. I do not like sailing with a dodger. The one on my boat is folded down most of the time. A good view with wind and water in the face is one of the reasons that I sail. And I do not like the additional windage, when I furl the sails I want to stop sailing.

But most of my dockmates not only have dodgers but full enclosures. If you like being enclosed while sailing then I think a hard dodger makes sense. Major advantages are longevity and solid handholds. You can use real safety glass with a swing out front section, just like my old Chris Craft. :)

WHOOSH 02-04-2003 10:45 AM

hard dodger vs soft

If my experience is any indication, you will quickly find the critical issue isn''t which dodger type you prefer but whether you actually have a reliable vendor offering both types in your area. Wavestopper franchises now exist thru-out the country (they are on the web) but some have been withdrawn as the local vendor found there were issues both with their supplier (folks who have the molds and hold onto the production rights) and with their own limited experience with such a product. I tried to get one large local vendor interested in this product (JSI and later Sailnet) but they decided against it (perhaps because they got my business, anyway), yet later were soliciting this kind fo work, then finally withdrew altogether from my area so it became moot.

I found some creative vendors eager to build a hard dodger for me if a) I was in there area (I wasn''t), of if b) their molds fit my boat (they didn''t) but it seems even today that this has tinges of ''experimental'' unless you own a current production model with which they are familiar.

Hard dodgers have much to offer, especially where a Sunbrella product is stretched across the top of an inert laminate material that will last as long as the boat. The whole dodger (and bimini) can be the same color of the same cloth, and redressing the dodger top isn''t very expensive, while replacing the side panels is mandated more often by the windows needing replacement. I''m on my 2nd dodger aboard WHOOSH now and still couldn''t find a local ''fit'' between product, vendor and boat, so perhaps scouting out a viable vendor in your area is the best starting point. Explore the fit and feature issues and I think you''ll quickly determine if you have a reasonable choice.

Jack

thomasstone 02-04-2003 01:55 PM

hard dodger vs soft

I have a soft dodger. Thank god I was able to find the frame for it when I bought the boat.It was still a small fortune just to have the canvas made for the frame.If I needed a frame another small fortune. I can only imagine what a hard dodger would cost. Another thing to consider how about a mess of green water coming over the side .Would it hold up or come crumbling down?H37 , did you have a Sail Yacht by chance?-thomas

heidi-peter 02-05-2003 08:02 AM

hard dodger vs soft

Thanks for the input, I to do not care for full enclsures but if we had a hard dodger and put up a binim when needed that should do the trick.as for a reliable vendor ...that could be a problem we live in RI and the boat is on the hard south of Annoplis We plan on going down in 2 weeks but are not aware of any vendors in the area. I think I will check out Wavestopper
Thanks
Heidi