Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-02-2003

heidi-peter is on a distinguished road
hard dodger vs soft

We are outfitting our southern cross 39. I am seriousley considering a hard dodger the boat needs all new canvas any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2003

h37skipper is on a distinguished road
hard dodger vs soft

Personal thing. I do not like sailing with a dodger. The one on my boat is folded down most of the time. A good view with wind and water in the face is one of the reasons that I sail. And I do not like the additional windage, when I furl the sails I want to stop sailing.

But most of my dockmates not only have dodgers but full enclosures. If you like being enclosed while sailing then I think a hard dodger makes sense. Major advantages are longevity and solid handholds. You can use real safety glass with a swing out front section, just like my old Chris Craft.
Old 02-04-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
hard dodger vs soft

If my experience is any indication, you will quickly find the critical issue isn''t which dodger type you prefer but whether you actually have a reliable vendor offering both types in your area. Wavestopper franchises now exist thru-out the country (they are on the web) but some have been withdrawn as the local vendor found there were issues both with their supplier (folks who have the molds and hold onto the production rights) and with their own limited experience with such a product. I tried to get one large local vendor interested in this product (JSI and later Sailnet) but they decided against it (perhaps because they got my business, anyway), yet later were soliciting this kind fo work, then finally withdrew altogether from my area so it became moot.

I found some creative vendors eager to build a hard dodger for me if a) I was in there area (I wasn''t), of if b) their molds fit my boat (they didn''t) but it seems even today that this has tinges of ''experimental'' unless you own a current production model with which they are familiar.

Hard dodgers have much to offer, especially where a Sunbrella product is stretched across the top of an inert laminate material that will last as long as the boat. The whole dodger (and bimini) can be the same color of the same cloth, and redressing the dodger top isn''t very expensive, while replacing the side panels is mandated more often by the windows needing replacement. I''m on my 2nd dodger aboard WHOOSH now and still couldn''t find a local ''fit'' between product, vendor and boat, so perhaps scouting out a viable vendor in your area is the best starting point. Explore the fit and feature issues and I think you''ll quickly determine if you have a reasonable choice.

Jack
Old 02-04-2003

thomasstone is on a distinguished road
hard dodger vs soft

I have a soft dodger. Thank god I was able to find the frame for it when I bought the boat.It was still a small fortune just to have the canvas made for the frame.If I needed a frame another small fortune. I can only imagine what a hard dodger would cost. Another thing to consider how about a mess of green water coming over the side .Would it hold up or come crumbling down?H37 , did you have a Sail Yacht by chance?-thomas
Old 02-05-2003

heidi-peter is on a distinguished road
hard dodger vs soft

Thanks for the input, I to do not care for full enclsures but if we had a hard dodger and put up a binim when needed that should do the trick.as for a reliable vendor ...that could be a problem we live in RI and the boat is on the hard south of Annoplis We plan on going down in 2 weeks but are not aware of any vendors in the area. I think I will check out Wavestopper
Thanks
Heidi

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.