Converting old stuff to NMEA - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-31-2010 Thread Starter

Converting old stuff to NMEA

Can I make my ancient speed (SciTex) and Depth (DMI) sending units talk to my NMEA compatible devices? Are these outdated units really dead for good?

C'mon, we're sailors aren't we? Isn't there a cheep-o way to make this work?

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-01-2010
Telstar 28

No, probably not.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-01-2010
Reward for lost Kraken!

"Isn't there a cheep-o way to make this work?"

Sure there is. A chip log and a lead line, two pieces of string and you're in business. Whoever swings them can then convert them to NMEA on the fly.

Electronic conversion? No, there's a time to just give it up and walk away.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-02-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

REAL Cheep way, no, but there is a way. I made an adapter board ($90) for the DMI speed transducer to talk to the ST60 speed display($80 on ebay), Raymarine makes the Seatalk to NMEA converter E85001 ($160 new).
I believe the DMI depth puck is a 200khz unit, if it is it can hook directly to a Raymarine ST60 depth instrument, I've seen them on Ebay for around $150 display only.
Once you have the converter, you can also hook it to a laptop for navigation software......You can do it for under $500 which is cheep when you consider the list prices on new ST60 instruments.....

Raymarine (Airmar) speed paddle wheel sensors have a hall effect sensor and 0 to 12 volt output. ( 12 volt power, signal, gnd) The older DMI have a 2 wire low level signal requiring excitation on the signal wire.

Did not know about the actisense NMEA converter, looks like a great product!
Attached Thumbnails
st60flush.jpg  

Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan

Last edited by roline; 02-07-2010 at 09:30 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-02-2010 Thread Starter

I read this and went...

YAY!!!!.....ummm, awwwwwe nuts.

Ok. I guess I have to face into reality. In a similar post I asked if anyone had recommendations / experience on "active" Depth/Speed/Temp transducers or so-called "tri-"ducers when they do a hat-trick on D/S/T.

Airmar has a line running about $350. Anyone have experience with these or know of a better or cheaper unit?

Does Raymarine make a tri-ducer unit that talks SeaTalk? I can go that route as well if need be.

Thanks all.

Pub911
post #6 of 19 Old 02-03-2010
Telstar 28

Umm... Raymarine actually doesn't make transducers...they use AIRMAR transducers, so if Airmar makes it, Raymarine resells it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub911 View Post
I read this and went...

YAY!!!!.....ummm, awwwwwe nuts.

Ok. I guess I have to face into reality. In a similar post I asked if anyone had recommendations / experience on "active" Depth/Speed/Temp transducers or so-called "tri-"ducers when they do a hat-trick on D/S/T.

Airmar has a line running about $350. Anyone have experience with these or know of a better or cheaper unit?

Does Raymarine make a tri-ducer unit that talks SeaTalk? I can go that route as well if need be.

Thanks all.

Pub911

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

post #7 of 19 Old 02-03-2010 Thread Starter

Thanks S-dog. Appreciate the OEM-insight.

P
post #8 of 19 Old 02-05-2010

Actisense DST-2

We have a product which will convert old depth speed and temp transducers into NMEA 0183 data, the DST-2

Depth
connects to a standard piezoelectric depth sounder crystal element using a 3-wire interface.
Speed connects to a standard 'paddle-wheel' hall-effect trancducer using a 3-wire interface.
Temp connects to a standard thermistor transducer using a 2-wire interface.
For example the DST-2 works with Airmar's DST800's.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-05-2010
Telstar 28

Please read and follow the Special Interest disclosure thread in the Boat Buying forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActisenseTechSupport View Post
We have a product which will convert old depth speed and temp transducers into NMEA 0183 data, the DST-2

Depth
connects to a standard piezoelectric depth sounder crystal element using a 3-wire interface.
Speed connects to a standard 'paddle-wheel' hall-effect trancducer using a 3-wire interface.
Temp connects to a standard thermistor transducer using a 2-wire interface.
For example the DST-2 works with Airmar's DST800's.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

post #10 of 19 Old 02-05-2010

Tinley Electronics also makes a transducer/paddle wheel - nmea converter. There are some differences in features and price with the Actisense product. Tinley Marine Electronics.

I don't have any first-hand experience with either of these devices, but will probably install one in the next few months.

Pearson 33-2
Western Long Island Sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.