Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-02-2003

RookieHunter is on a distinguished road
Who makes the best outboard?

Apparently I may be in the market for a new outboard. Since I am learning, I can''t afford to be left on the seas with no emergency route home. I have a 5 hp Nissan that threw me a curve ball this weekend and broke the gear shift off into the big drink. Since it requires a rod adjustment and a turn of a splined rod (I''m assuming is the transmission) then I couldn''t run it manually with pliers.

Bottom line-- If I decide to replace an old 5 HP engine for reliability sake, what is the best manufacturer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road

Barring compelling reasons otherwise, I''ve been advised to buy what everyone else (locally) is using.
You''ll likely find that there are good reasons for an brand''s local popularity (price, service, functionality).
I had a Mercury (from the Great Lakes) when I first entered the Bahamas, and found that parts were only available at one place in Nassau. Because Bahamamians had been using lots of Johnsons, the Island dumps were full of parts that enabled me to repair many of those outboards. Lately, Yamaha has become the Bahamian outboard of choice, and in a few years the dumps will be providing lots of parts for them.
Good luck!
Gord May
Old 02-03-2003

Sailmc is on a distinguished road

I''ve been very happy with my Nissan 9.8. It has been trouble free and has a major advantage over many other outboards if you want a 10 HP motor. It weighs 68 LBS. This is what everyone elses 15 HP motors weigh. If you want to handle the motor manually and still want a 10 HP this is the one.
Old 02-03-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

Last year I researched small outboards of 2-5 HP and it came down to Yamaha and Honda as "the best." It''s hard to find good evaluations of the engines, though, and people I spoke to ahd good and bad to say about almost all of them. I went with a Yamaha 3 HP, 2 cycle for my dinghy and was very please with it last year. Light weight and plenty powerful.

I was impressed when I bought it, the mechanic who serviced it and showed me how to run it told me when I left that he probably would never see me again because the Yamaha''s are so reliable.