SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Hypalon dinghy paint question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/61773-hypalon-dinghy-paint-question.html)

TQA 02-03-2010 07:09 PM

Hypalon dinghy paint question

I have a Caribe dinghy [ hypalon] which came with registration letters which no longer apply. I have some of the paint which was used for the letters so can paint over them creating a black panel.

My question is can I use any old paint say a household enamel to paint yellow letters on top of the black panel.

TQA 02-03-2010 07:24 PM

Painting Hypalon ??

I have a Caribe dinghy [ hypalon] which came with registration letters which no longer apply. I have some of the paint which was used for the letters so can paint over them creating a black panel.

My question is can I use any old paint say a household enamel to paint yellow letters on top of the black panel.

Gene T 02-03-2010 08:13 PM

You can get inflatable boat paint at a marine store. The paint needs to be flexible or it will just peal off. I have used it on Hypalon and it works well.

christyleigh 02-04-2010 06:44 AM

I had the same situation and painted a black box for the white numbers using the dingy number paint and stencils. As for your actual question I went to a Home Depot and asked about painting a 20 year old deck awning to seal up leaks and he gave me what he thought would be the most flexible paint and it held up through last summer on the awning which sees much wind flexing. The cost may be a wash though because of the larger container you must buy from HD and probably waste :rolleyes:

TQA 02-04-2010 08:06 AM

My problem is the only hypalon paint colour I can get down here in the BVI is black and getting paint shipped down is problamatical at best.

Cruisingdad 02-04-2010 08:20 AM

You can buy vinyl letters pretty cheap, or do what we did on one of ours, and just buy a piece of lexan and put some letters on that and hang from port/stbd via lines.

Just some thoughs. Not sure what paint would stick to that stuff. Others may know better.

Brian

Cruisingdad 02-04-2010 08:25 AM

We had two threads and I merged them. I also replied to the other thread and had not seen the responses. I guess my only response that is valid is the piece of lexan.

xort 02-04-2010 09:31 AM

Vinyl numbers came off our dink pretty quick. I bought stencils and used a large black sharpie 'permanent' marker to put on the numbers over light gray hypalon. It fades after about 6 months so I give it a touch up. Takes about 15 min. to redo

lancelot9898 02-04-2010 10:03 AM

I've had good luck using stencils with a permanent black magic marker for the number on my Archilles. If I had old numbers to remove, I'ld try using an inflatable boat cleaner and lots of rubbing and rags.

lancelot9898 02-04-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 566886)
just buy a piece of lexan and put some letters on that and hang from port/stbd via lines.

Brian

Here in Maryland, I don't think it's legal to hang removeable ID boards from your dinghy anymore. ??