Hypalon dinghy paint question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-03-2010 Thread Starter
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Hypalon dinghy paint question

I have a Caribe dinghy [ hypalon] which came with registration letters which no longer apply. I have some of the paint which was used for the letters so can paint over them creating a black panel.

My question is can I use any old paint say a household enamel to paint yellow letters on top of the black panel.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-03-2010 Thread Starter
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Painting Hypalon ??

I have a Caribe dinghy [ hypalon] which came with registration letters which no longer apply. I have some of the paint which was used for the letters so can paint over them creating a black panel.

My question is can I use any old paint say a household enamel to paint yellow letters on top of the black panel.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-03-2010

You can get inflatable boat paint at a marine store. The paint needs to be flexible or it will just peal off. I have used it on Hypalon and it works well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
post #4 of 14 Old 02-04-2010

I had the same situation and painted a black box for the white numbers using the dingy number paint and stencils. As for your actual question I went to a Home Depot and asked about painting a 20 year old deck awning to seal up leaks and he gave me what he thought would be the most flexible paint and it held up through last summer on the awning which sees much wind flexing. The cost may be a wash though because of the larger container you must buy from HD and probably waste

Stan
'Christy Leigh'
NC 331
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
post #5 of 14 Old 02-04-2010 Thread Starter
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

My problem is the only hypalon paint colour I can get down here in the BVI is black and getting paint shipped down is problamatical at best.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-04-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

You can buy vinyl letters pretty cheap, or do what we did on one of ours, and just buy a piece of lexan and put some letters on that and hang from port/stbd via lines.

Just some thoughs. Not sure what paint would stick to that stuff. Others may know better.

Brian

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

post #7 of 14 Old 02-04-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

We had two threads and I merged them. I also replied to the other thread and had not seen the responses. I guess my only response that is valid is the piece of lexan.

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

post #8 of 14 Old 02-04-2010

Vinyl numbers came off our dink pretty quick. I bought stencils and used a large black sharpie 'permanent' marker to put on the numbers over light gray hypalon. It fades after about 6 months so I give it a touch up. Takes about 15 min. to redo
post #9 of 14 Old 02-04-2010

I've had good luck using stencils with a permanent black magic marker for the number on my Archilles. If I had old numbers to remove, I'ld try using an inflatable boat cleaner and lots of rubbing and rags.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
just buy a piece of lexan and put some letters on that and hang from port/stbd via lines.

Brian
Here in Maryland, I don't think it's legal to hang removeable ID boards from your dinghy anymore. ??

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.