Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-03-2003

obiec is on a distinguished road
best exterior varnish

I am getting ready to varnish the top side it is a mixture of teek, mahogany and some oak. It is compleatly grayed out. I was thnking about sikkens. but would like adivice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
best exterior varnish

Obiec,

This is another one of those topics that could generate lots of traffic. Last year I got tired of Cetol and scraped it all off. After so many years of annual maintenance coats, you had no idea there was teak under there. I used a product called Bristol Finish instead of traditional varnish. BF is a 2-part acrylic urethane that looks amazingly like varnish, but is more durable. Here in the Chesapeake, BF is supposed to last 3-4 years between coats. If you''re in Florida, it''ll last less time of course.

Only proviso with BF is that it won''t adhere to sharp, 90 degree edges, which is what I had on my toe rail. The factory advised me to round those sharp edges off, which I did with a sander, and then recoated with the recommended 6 coats. All fine so far, but that was just last fall that I did that.

Varnish has its fans, too. I''ll let them talk about what they do.
Old 02-03-2003

RichH will become famous soon enough
best exterior varnish

Best ext. varnish is probably Epifanes into which you mix a little burnt sienna pigment for extra UV protection.

IMHO -- Best coating overall (gloss, longevity, adhesion, easy maintainence, etc.) is Honey Teak (Signature Finish) or 5 yr. Clear (Smith & Co.). Both are 2 part + 2 part acrylic/urethane copolymers that look similar to varnish (after sun fade). I use HT on a large application with no problems going into 4th year, can be buffed with high speed auto body shop buffer, lambswool bonnet and 1500-2000 grit compound if feeling lazy. Sanding is by 3M purple pad. Can lay-on several coats per day. Coating is best on a cool day. Very expensive. Use on teak only, not "softies" such as Iroko, etc.
Old 02-03-2003

stm is on a distinguished road
best exterior varnish

The answer to your question relies almost entirely how much work your willing to put into keeping your finish looking good. Epiphanes is the best in my opinion but your going to have to lightly sand and reaply two coats , twice each year.
Old 02-05-2003

obiec is on a distinguished road
best exterior varnish

what about coating everthing wih a brush on cote of weast epoxe then 4 or 5 coats of sikkens. sanding betwean all of coars or even the epoxe then some varnish.
Old 02-06-2003

sadie14 is on a distinguished road
best exterior varnish

Any product you choose will have to be re-done after 5-6 years. Cetol and Varnish have to be maintained. Cetol''s claim to fame is that you don''t have to sand between coats, only at maintenance coats. However, I advised a light sanding any way to clean out the bugs and other bumps between coats for a better looking finish.

I live in Florida and the sun and pollution are brutal. Texas is worse. Keeping the boat rinsed helps a lot.