Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-10-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
A babystay usually is on some rigs, mine included, instead of forward lowers. It is not there to set a sail on and is usually quite close to the mast. The inner forestay or staysail stay is usually farther forward and is there to set a sail on, whether a staysail on a cutter rig or a storm sail on a sloop. Sometimes the inner forestay on a sloop is removeable when not in use. The babystay is important for the integrity of the rig and is never removed, usually being the only stay along with the lowers keeping the center section of the mast in column.
Old 02-10-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Clear as glass ..Thanks Brian

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
Yup, I know it's not acting as a baby stay in the photo but is now rigged as a baby stay with the possibility to move it back and use it as a staysail rig. Sort of multiuse.
I'm surprised that the Baby stay would be long enough to reach that far forward. We have a removeable inner forestay as well as the baby and there is no way that they could be interchanged. Obviously your setup is very different to ours.

From my previous post...do you have forward lowers ? If not then I'm thinking you merely have a removeable inner and not a true baby.

edit....I think I may be right here. A baby stay attaches at the spreaders. At least it does on a single spreader rig cos its main purpose is to act as a substitute for the absent forward lowers.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 02-13-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that having multiple headstays and headsails does NOT make a boat a cutter rig. A cutter has the mast in a different position than does a sloop. It would at most make it a multiple headsail sloop. The mast on a cutter rig is stepped further aft than it is on a sloop.

Quote:
My boat is also fitted with a baby stay that is adjustable and is fitted to the foredeck about 18 inches forward of the mast; however I have a photo of the previous owner under full spinnaker with the baby stay fitted to a track that runs amid ship forward and with a sail hanked on to it. It looks like it could be made into a cutter rig. The photo was taken from a helicopter ( I think) and they are really flying judging from the wake they are leaving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-10-2010

CaptnAl is on a distinguished road
So at what point for stepping the mast does the tranistion occur to make a cutter rig? Is there a clean cut point, like a yawl and ketch mizzen mast relative to the rudder post?
Old 02-10-2010

catamount is on a distinguished road
For a cutter, the mast is located 50% or more back on the length of the sail plan.

For those IOR-era sloops with large "J" measurements (fore-triangle) and very short "E" measurements (foot of mainsail), the mast pretty much IS 50% or more back on the length of the sailplan, and so maybe we could consider them cutters!

, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 02-14-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-13-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Curiosity

The Dogs somewhat caustic reply about what makes a sloop vs a cutter was at first taken as a bit of a put down but after I had a little time to think about it I became very curious about what was in the mind of the designer, so I contacted her.

She is Eva Hollmann and has always been very helpful when I had a question about my boat. You see I have hull #1 of only 6 built. It was designed as a IOR 12 meter class boat. When I contacted her she said "Hi Dwayne: your question has me a bit puzzled, because on the FD-12, that "little sail" is as classic a staysail as they come! It was intended to be a supplement to the jib, to pretty much fill the foretriangle while keeping the individual sails small; it was intended as a self-tending working sail when short-tacking. When way off the wind with a chute up, it could well fly underneath without seriously stealing air from it."

Unfortunately I've never flown this staysail but now I'm really anxious to dig thru the sail inventory I got with the boat, which is considerable, and find the sail and try it out.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 02-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The reply wasn't meant to be caustic...but informative... too many people automatically think that if a sailboat has multiple headsails, that it must be a cutter rig. This is simply not true.

Did Eva say whether your boat is a cutter design or a multi-headsail sloop rig?

Quote:
The Dogs somewhat caustic reply about what makes a sloop vs a cutter was at first taken as a bit of a put down but after I had a little time to think about it I became very curious about what was in the mind of the designer, so I contacted her.

She is Eva Hollmann and has always been very helpful when I had a question about my boat. You see I have hull #1 of only 6 built. It was designed as a IOR 12 meter class boat. When I contacted her she said "Hi Dwayne: your question has me a bit puzzled, because on the FD-12, that "little sail" is as classic a staysail as they come! It was intended to be a supplement to the jib, to pretty much fill the foretriangle while keeping the individual sails small; it was intended as a self-tending working sail when short-tacking. When way off the wind with a chute up, it could well fly underneath without seriously stealing air from it."

Unfortunately I've never flown this staysail but now I'm really anxious to dig thru the sail inventory I got with the boat, which is considerable, and find the sail and try it out.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-14-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Dog, IOR 12Meter = sloop

Dwayne, very cool pic. Just looking at it gets my adrenalin going. If you haven't run your stayail yet you are missing out.
I rigged my boat for a Dazy Stays'l recently and WOW. It is an extremely versatile sail and being a stay-less sail and easy to rig has saved my bacon once already.
Old 03-13-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
A baby stay is a lower shroud that usually connects on the mast where the rear lowers also attach to control the very slight mid mast bend in a mast head rig. instead of having dual for and aft lowers, it is triangulated. When jybing the spinnaker pole, it is a little pain in the _ss but can be worked around. The Cal 9.2 is one of the IOR designs with one. Some of the 9.2's were modified with a block and tackle to allow it to be bungeed to the mast while jybing to keep it out of the way.
The baby stay is really mounted too low on the mast to work for a cutter rig or inner forestay. On RAMPAGE a Cal 2-30 we flew a tallboy from the jib halyand with the tack cleated mid foredeck on the windward rail. Another name for this sail is a spinnaker staysail. It would harness the airflow that escaped between the spinnaker and main.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.