Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-09-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
I'm a bit confused with the power conversion. A Honda 1000W generator puts out 1000W at 120V AC. 1W = 1A X 1V, so in this case:

1000W = ~8A X 120V

If you replace that 120V with 12V and keep the wattage the same, don't you get:

1000W = ~80A X 12V

The power output is the wattage, and it should remain constant, shouldn't it? If you lower the voltage, doesn't the amperage increase? Or is this one of those AC/DC things?
I believe the generators, although 1000 watts on their 120v outlets, also have a 12v outlet on them that puts out a very small wattage. That's why people connect their boat's 120v battery charger (the one used at the dock) to the 120v outlet on the generator.

You math looks good, it's just the outlets on the generator itself.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
We have the Honda 2000. We connect our normal shore power cord to the 30Amp outlet on the generator and then to the shore power fitting on the boat.

In theory we could get ~140Amps DC from the Honda (2000W it the short burst rating not the continuous load rating - I can't remember exactly what the continuous rating was) if our charger and batteries could take that.

In reality, the generator provides more than the amount of juice that our charger asks for and we can also plug other things into the 120V outlet to charge/run while our batteries are charging.

//
//

Last edited by Livia; 02-09-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
The main question, as others have suggested is what do you need the power for? Are you running hair dryers? Waffle irons? Deck lights on all night? Keeping three 90 amp batteries topped up for general weekend use would be simple with a small solar panel. Check out Sailingdog's link. Generators disturb otherwise quiet anchorages - much like PWC's. If you don't need megawatts, don't.
Old 02-10-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
Our generator is quieter than our diesel engine

(I agree, cutting down your use is the first step)

//
//
Old 02-10-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
To my mind the goal is not to run any engine unless you're using it to travel somewhere. Years ago there was a lot less choice but with today's technology the solar and or wind systems can be configured to supply most or all of your power. Even years ago most tried to keep engine running to 1 hour a day, but today many think more and more toys are needed to cross the bay and of course more again for an ocean crossing. It's all about deciding what you really need and planning a viable system to provide the power - silently.
Old 02-10-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
About the only thing one usually learns on threads like this about generator use, noise, needs, etc is who are the people that think their perspective is the only correct one.
Old 02-10-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Not the only perspective but the original poster should know his alternatives before having to deal with a portable gas engine running on a rolling boat. He bought a sailboat and not a trawler so it can be assumed he likes the peace and quiet of sailing. He should know there are alternatives to a generator.

Last edited by mitiempo; 02-10-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-10-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
And alternatives to an engine! When it comes to sailing the only correct perspective on that is no engine, no electrical needs, and no noise......or so I've been told.

But I agree wtih mitempo. All he has to do is look past the "I'm right" which is in these posts by their nature to see that engines are good, can be used to charge batteries, generators are nice and quieter than engines and cheaper than wind and solar.

If I had the money I would go with a fuel cell. I think the The EFOY 900 fuel cell would be all I would need for my electrical needs.

But the EU2000i is much cheaper and much less noisy than the engine so it wins hands down as the other charging method.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P