Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-09-2010
Catalina 25

jjrunning is on a distinguished road
Holes in my cabin liner

We just got a 1982 Catalina 25 swing keel on a trailer and we're going through it, getting it ready for the summer. I found these two holes in the v-berth that have dirty looking water coming out of them... I'll try to attach the picture I took. They appear to be old screw holes that a previous owner had something attached to.

Does anyone know what's going on here? What can I do about it? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Holes in my cabin liner-img_1313.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

Water got someplace it should not have and in a very "general way" when it comes out brown it tends to involve and issue with dammage of something you cant see right now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2010
Catalina 25

Should I sand/grind it out and see what I find?
Old 02-09-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
What's your philosophy?

Are you ready to go all the way?
Do you want a pristine boat?
Can you live with the knowledge that there may be damage in there?

Almost all boats that are more than a couple of years old have had water seep in somewhere and do some potential damage but almost all owners just live with it and go on sailing.

Try to spend your time finding out where the water got in and fix that. Otherwise just clean up the brown mess and watch it for further water ingress.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 02-09-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Weeping water stains from the laminate.
The screw holes are not in a 'liner material' of some sort are they? If there is no liner then there is water in the laminate material that makes up your hull. If there is a liner then you should remove the liner to see what is going on behind the liner.
The first and easiest thing to do is to clean off the existing stains and not plug the holes but monitor the holes for more weeping. Plug the holes only when you are certain that there is no more moisture getting in there.
You should also test the hull in that area on the outside for any signs of softness. You can tap the hull and listen for different sounds that may indicate more water or even separation of the laminate material. I would also check all the deck fittings in that area for proper bedding compound beneath them. Is there a chain plate near that spot? Are there any small blisters on the bottom of the hull beneath that area?
If there are no signs of softness in the material around the weeping screw holes then you just need to try to stop the water intrusion from continuing. I hope the damage is minimal for your sake but it should not stop you from enjoying your boat.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-09-2010

HARDWORK is on a distinguished road
Check all your deck fittings, and rebed if they even look suspect. There is a leak somewhere above. I had a Catalina 30 that took 2years to find a stantion that was leaking. After you fix your leak and get no more water sepage, then you can repair the screw hole. Just keep a sponge handy to clean up the brown water and go sailing.
Old 02-09-2010
Catalina 25

Thanks so much for all of the responses. I'll monitor it for a while and see what happens. There is a lifeline stanchion right in that area above so I'll pull that up and take a look. I'll check for soft spots tomorrow when the snow has stopped and I can get in.

I can definitely live with it. I realize that it's a 1982 boat so I expect things to have their problems. Good to know that it shouldn't be a big issue though.
Old 02-09-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
JJ--For what it's worth it would be helpful to have a better idea of just where your seepage is (hopefully there is not a holding tank or waste line on the opposit sied of the panel!). In any case, there should not be water, or any other fluid, draining from a hole in a hull liner and I would be concerned about the matter. If it is water; and, you are in a particularly cold climate, freezing could cause rather a lot of damage.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-10-2010
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
JJ, you got a lot of good suggestions! Catalina uses hull liners so you don't have a problem with the hull. That's good. It looks like it is at the bow under the deck. You mentioned a stantion which is likely the cause. Another possibility is that the bow pulpit (if you have one) is needing rebedding. The brown color is likely from wood backing or wood coring (Catalina used plywood coring, I believe, in their smaller, older boats). Check for softness right around the base of the stantion and the pulpit. You can also test (when it gets warmer) for water leakage by spraying a hose at the suspect fitting while isolating it from other fittings. Use a lot of force and a lot of water. Have someone below decks to see if you get a drip. Start at the fitting closest and downhill from other fittings. Then work your way uphill until you see a leak. If you don't get anything, spray water upwards at the bottom of the rubrail. That's the hull-deck joint. The rubrail is installed on top of the joint which is like a shoebox top with bolts going through the rubrail, deck and hull holding everything together. It is not likely that this is the cause but... If it is, you definately need to rebed that puppy! If you get leaks at stantions, etc, it would be good to rebed them all isnce they are all the same age. Another possible area is the mast-step. I don't know how likeli tyhis is because it may be uphill from where the area is but it is a place to test. In general, this is a likely cause of problems since there are many holes for screws and wires inside and there is a lot of downward pressure from the mast at this point. Look carefully to see if the deck is perfectly flat here. Any depression means that there is a leak and you should have it fixed with new wood backing / support. This is not an area to treat flippantly as there are a lot of pressures here.

Good luck, get it done and go sailing!

Tod

Last edited by Gladrags1; 02-10-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-10-2010
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrunning View Post
Should I sand/grind it out and see what I find?
No, don't sand / grind it out. Investigate where the water is coming from then fix the hole.

Tod

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.