SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

raise boom end 6" with new sail

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  tdw 
#1 ·
I have ordered new sails and after talking with FX decided to have it cut so the clew end of my boom is raised 6" while the tack stays the same. My boom as is can scrape the top of my head if i am not careful. i had mentioned to FX that i may want to cut the new sail 6" so i could raise my boom and they suggested just raising the aft end with the sail. Is this a good idea? The boat is an '87 Pearson 27-2

#2 ·
When you measure for the new sail,
position the boom at the height you are
comfortable with. Then measure the
maximum leech length with the halyard at max
hoist. If the boom needs to be angled up a few
degrees to clear your head, that is fine.

#4 ·
Just be sure your vang has the length/reach to accommodate the extra boom lift. Otherwise I don't see any problem with doing this esp if boom clearance is an issue safety/convenience wise.

#5 ·
Absolutely agree with the others. I did it on an old boat of mine after a day spent in hospital with concussion and having a couple of stitches inserted.

Performance difference was nil. Comfort factor increase was considerable. Bloodstains in cockpit a thing of the past. :)

#9 ·
I raised the aft end of the boom on the MC about 18”. Not only was it safer but it also made room for our home made dodger. The pic I posted on my introduction shows about how the boom sits with the sail in use. It used to be horizontal or lower. I used the aft/leech cringle and sewed in new “reefing points” on an angle to the gooseneck to secure the foot of the sail. I had to slightly modify the reefing system since they were no longer parallel to the boom. Single handed a little less sail is not a bad thing. Dan S/V Marian Claire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.