I hate starting a project when one isn't finished yet (nav station/electrical) but this one can be done at home when it's too cold outside. I started explaining my troubles with the cushions in post #3, so this is #3.5. I am winning the battle with the cushions, 2 covers are complete, one needs to be repaired (really messed up the zipper corner), and one needs to be finished. I think they turned out excellent considering this is the first thing I have ever sewed that wasn't a button.
For this project I referenced two Good Old Boat articles. The 'Big Bed Mod" in the July/August 2001 issue (#19) and the "DIY Boat Cushions" in the Nov/Dec 2009 issue (#69). The big bed issue (Which was also a Hunter 27!
)the author made new cushions for the middle and left the old ones alone. I made all new cushions and modified the shape of them instead. The old ones went into the head through little openings so a 6'er can lay down, well since I can't even get my feet through the little openings that was never going to happen, so I made a modification. The settee bottom cushions will go in the middle, and the settee backs will then lay flat on the settee's, making almost a queen sized bed across the width of the cabin. The settee backs are 3" taller than the old ones, when everything is flat the bed will be 58"x78" with a good foot to spare.
The cushions article is great, but it assums things...like the fact that you know how to sew, I do not. But I do now! :rockon So it was a little frustrating until I got the hang of it.
Yes that's me. Please excuse the mess, the house is full of boat parts right now.
My assistant, Sprout, reading the instructions to me as I work. He's a great helper but has a short attention span.
Easy part done, cutting.
And 2 finished! they look pretty good, not professional, but much better than the old smelly things.