Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-11-2010
obleo

obleo is on a distinguished road
Newport 33 Compression Post & Rig

HI, I've owned an 82 Newport 33 for about 6 years now. Just wondering if anyone has had to replace a compression post yet (made of teak). No problem with mine yet that I know of, but I can't see the bottom of the post so I have no idea what condition it is in.
While I'm at it, has anyone ever tied the forward lower stay to the hull? Right
now it's just attached to the deck and I was wondering the best way to do it.
I was even thinking of adding a rear lower stay to stabilize the mast more. Presently there is only a forward lower and middle lower.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
It is not unusual to find forward lowers attached just to the deck. Many manufactures do this. It bothers me too. My N30 was this way and I put a large backing plate on the port side to support it more. Starboard was close to a bulkhead so not as big a problem. I feel the risk is for an abnormal event of some kind that would put extreme stress on the rig. The deck attachment could fail which could allow rig failure or a big hole in the deck.

My new boat was the same way and there was a problem with the deck. Turns out the manufacturer decided it was a problem and secured it to the bulkhead the next manufacturing year. I repaired the deck and added the new parts.

Bottom line is there are lots of boats that are built this way and are working fine but making it stronger is certainly a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 02-13-2010
obleo

obleo is on a distinguished road
Yea, my N33 is a lightly built boat. The side stays either bolt to the deck or to a wood bulkhead that is lightly bolted to the liner. I'm thinking of adding a lower rear and taking the old forward and new rear straight through to the hull for piece of mind.
Did the N30 have a small teak compression post like the N33?
Old 02-14-2010

My N30 had a teak compression post as far as I know. I never had any problems with it however. Lightly built boats but fast and roomy. Well balanced and sailed well. We enjoyed it quite a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-12-2010

TomatoDave is on a distinguished road
There's a 1984 Newport 33 for sale that is attractively priced. Unfortunately, there are no marine surveyors here so I'm likely on my own. Could you give me suggestions for problem areas to look for? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-12-2010

Most of the things that were "wrong" with Capital Yachts were poor quality parts that are easily replaceable. The most notable that comes to mind was the use of low quality plastic PVC valves on all through hull fittings. That would be the first thing I would look for, if they are original I would be likely to walk away figuring general lack of knowledge maintenance by the PO. Otherwise look it over carefully, take pictures and ask specific questions if you have any concerns.

The N33 is an extended version of the N30 which is a Gary Mull design. A little roomier with the similar sailing characteristics. My N30 was a great sailing boat.

Gene