Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-12-2010

bmacfarquhar is on a distinguished road
Where to find a good cheap nesting Dinghy?

I have been googling around for a nesting dinghy and only seem to come up with plans to build your own. Does anyone sell a small nesting dinghy that can be stored on deck of a small cruiser? I think inflateables seem like a bad idea would prefer a rigid with padding...

Probably 8 feet when built max and light enough for one person to handle.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The NN10 is a good one..but longer than 8'..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-12-2010

I saw that one (the NN10) but its way overpriced when a typical glass dinghy with oars can be found for $400. 2.5k is a lot of profit and not a good value in my book.

Probably be cheaper to install davits considering the price difference.

Any others?

What about sawing a regular $300 glass dinghy in half and putting in bulkheads that can be screwed togethor with some sort of thumbscrews?

Probably just need some plywood and glass tabbing - I suppose it might not nest though the parts may not fit inside one another.

Anyone out there build plywood nesting dinghies for a bargain? There are many plans out there but I don't have a workshop or the tools to do it otherwise it would be a fun project...
Old 02-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not really sure where you're getting a price of $300 for a fiberglass dinghy... but, yes, you could probably install two bulkheads and then saw the dinghy apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfarquhar View Post
I saw that one (the NN10) but its way overpriced when a typical glass dinghy with oars can be found for $400. 2.5k is a lot of profit and not a good value in my book.

Probably be cheaper to install davits considering the price difference.

Any others?

What about sawing a regular $300 glass dinghy in half and putting in bulkheads that can be screwed togethor with some sort of thumbscrews?

Probably just need some plywood and glass tabbing - I suppose it might not nest though the parts may not fit inside one another.

Anyone out there build plywood nesting dinghies for a bargain? There are many plans out there but I don't have a workshop or the tools to do it otherwise it would be a fun project...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-12-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
bmac,you won't want to hear this, but I notice a recurring theme throughout all of your posts.
You are cheap.
You are lazy.
You are unskilled.
If you want to own a sailboat, you can get by with two out of three.
Which trait do you plan to change?
Old 02-12-2010
Telstar 28

LOL... brutal, but I can't disagree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
bmac,you won't want to hear this, but I notice a recurring theme throughout all of your posts.
You are cheap.
You are lazy.
You are unskilled.
If you want to own a sailboat, you can get by with two out of three.
Which trait do you plan to change?

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-12-2010

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
You might consider a used Porta-bote ..
purchased a 8.5 ft with Minn Kota trolling motor in excellent condition for $400 ... and it works well for us ...
Old 02-13-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
bljones
I was thinking the same thing - agree 100%

By the way the Portabote is a good choice as it is very durable and its been said it is so ugly nobody will steal it.
Porta-Bote Folding Boat Makes Inflatables Obsolete Also Portaboat
Old 02-13-2010

bljones - Well I wont disagree that I am new to the world of sailing and am trying to keep costs to a minimum but I found I've wasted a lot of time and money in past pursuits with the wrong gear/ ideas and had I just gone with cheap and simple I'd have saved a tremendous amount of effort. Most often the simplest path of least resistance is the best. I don't have skills in boat building or sailing yet but I don't have a boat yet and am very much still in an urban environment dreaming - a kayaker/ cyclist who wants to escape and sail indefinitely till I have my fill. However I want to do it asap and have nothing holding me back except perhaps spending too much money at the outset especially on the wrong things.

Cal 28 I am looking into the porta-bote thanks for the idea.

I was hoping someone made an 8' glass dinghy that can be taken apart for say less then 8 bills or so - I'm sure such a product would not be unreasonable if mass produced.

Also, bljones: I see no point in slinging insults around I am trying to save shopping time by asking experienced people who have spent countless hours pondering and lusting after junk whats good. The point of a forum is to draw on other people's experience, skills and hard work. If I think 2.5k is a rip off that says little about skill and work ethic. I have seen several hard dinghies advertised with oars in the $3-400 range on many classified websites. If you don't want to read my posts I encourage you to skip them. Or is it that you are invested in the NN10 and were offended by my opinion?

Last edited by bmacfarquhar; 02-13-2010 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2010

Am also quite suprised by the overwhelming verdict that I am lazy, unskilled and inexperienced I would have thought sailors would be friendly people who enjoy helping people get started.

I haven't seen anyone bother to post something like that on a forum before but I haven't spent much time on forums - some people love to fight and argue and waste time. Seeming cheap, lazy and unskilled arises from trying to cut through the BS and make the right choices the first time around. Experience comes from lack of judgement, and judgement comes from experience. I am not considered lazy but I am not comfortable opening up on a public forum - if you have a problem with my posts send me a personal message and we can discuss your issues in private or if I am offending most of the regular posters I'll just stop. Looking back on all the money and time I've wasted in my life I think if you look hard enough you can find the solution you want at the price you want to pay.

Last edited by bmacfarquhar; 02-13-2010 at 03:15 AM.