Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-12-2010

akin_alan is on a distinguished road
Dinghy for a 30' Sloop on the Ocean

I have a 30' Grampian sloop that I am planning to sail from harbor to harbor out of South Carolina, maybe to the Bahamas. I now have a 6 hp 2 stroke to go with my 15 year old hypalon dinghy that has holes in it. The dinghy is non repairable I think, anyway it weighs maybe 200lb or more with a fiberglass bottom. Believe it or not this 6 hp 2 stroke gets what I got up on a plane! Now I gotta have a dinghy that will plane. Currently I am towing this old clunker dinghy. I don't like towing, I have an outboard motor on my sailboat and I am afraid that the dinghy could hurt the outboard in the ocean. I would like to put something more lightweight on the bow and perhaps partially deflate it to make room. I'd like to be able to roll it up completely to fit in a car if possible but being able to plane is more important to me. Also I have a huge jib. When I come about across the wind how will my jib like it? My question is. If I get a 7' roll up dinghy from West Marine will I be able to plane? I think not. What if I get a 7' high pressure floor dinghy? Do they make them? Will it plane?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The towed dinghy is a risk to your boat, your outboard, and itself if towed offshore. I do not think an inflatable will plane without a solid floor of some kind. One option is the Portabote. It is very durable and will plane. It folds flat and can be stored on the cabintop or alongside the lifelines.
Porta-Bote Folding Boat Makes Inflatables Obsolete Also Portaboat
Old 02-13-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Our Walker Bay Odessey planes with a 4hp Tahatsu (Does even better when my fat ass is in the stern). Air floor with a v hull inflated bottom. Larger tubes than comparable dingys give it some stability also greater capacity. Great built in rings for davit lifting, handholds for carrying, aliminum seat, and hard sstern. Can be collapsed easily in 10 minutes and low profile lashed in front of the mast for long passage making when you dont want to use or dont have davit system. We got ours at Defender a few years ago and have been very happy. Not sure if you need an RIB with coral heads in the carribean though

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the Porta-Bote. They're tough, row well, motor better... and store in a fairly small space.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-13-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have an Achilles rollup that planes with one person in it with my 8hp mercury 2 stroke. Wont plane with two people (well, I am a big lug) but still goes pretty fast.
Old 02-13-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I would consider the porta boat. Some where I read they can be self built also by purchasing plans. If you go that direction you may want to consider building a nesting dinghy. It can cover you hatch, and allow it to stay open more often for air.

I knew a man who built one. He also put an old wind surfer's mast on it, so it rowed motored, and sailed with taking practically no space at all while folded, and covering the hatch.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 02-13-2010

CalEnron is on a distinguished road
I feel this guys pain...I spent last summer with an 9' aluminum dinghy and a 9.9 the thing was scary fast, I did have to re-engineer the transom a bit to take the added stress, anyhow I've become accustomed to the short ride from the boat to the town pier, and alas the aluminum dinghy has joined the choir invisible...
Old 02-13-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Get a light weight RIB and store it on the deck for the crossing to the Bahamas. Tow it elsewhere.

Caribe L8 or L9 would be my choice in your situation. Both will plane 1 up with 6 hp might do two up but may need 8 hp.

The L8 only weighs 103 lbs.
Old 02-13-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I think the problem with storing an inflatable on the forward deck is room. If, and when the sh*t hits the fan, and it eventually does. There's no room to take care of the boat. You may find yourself struggling to get around the dink, falling over, or possibly cutting the dink loose. This is why I suggested a nesting dink.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 02-13-2010

MY36 is on a distinguished road
no price

The Porta boat does seem interesting, but it's very annoying that the don't have a price on their website (that I found) and they want your email address before they will
tell you what it costs.

They lost this potential customer.