SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Filling in holes in the deck (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/61997-filling-holes-deck.html)

dave6330 02-13-2010 03:52 AM

Filling in holes in the deck

OK - so I took the plunge and purchased a new ELECTRIC winch for Polaris. The new Lewmar Pro Series 1000 will replace the S/L Hyspeed that went inop on us. Any advise on how best to fill in the bolt holes from the installation of the original winch?

sailingdog 02-13-2010 07:35 AM

IS this a winch or a WINDLASS. It sounds like a Windlass. Fill the bolt holes with thickened epoxy—preferably thickened with silica.

dave6330 02-13-2010 04:54 PM

I guess I'm just a lubber at heart. You're absolutely right, correctly speaking, it's the anchor windlass that is being replaced. I stand corrcted.

Thickened epoxy (thickened with silica)...THANKS!!!

Respectfully,

sailingdog 02-13-2010 05:10 PM

:D Glad to help. :) BTW, if the deck is cored where the fastener holes were, rather than solid fiberglass, you will want to coat the holes with unthickened epoxy first then fill with thickened epoxy—otherwise the core material may steal epoxy from the thickened epoxy and starve it...weakening the plug.

dave6330 02-13-2010 05:39 PM

Thanks again. I'll check that out before I start. Going to have to wait till the snow melts and we have some better weather, though. Right now I'm just chomping at the bit waiting for the new windlass to arrive. 1st order of business is going to try to figure out where to put the toggle switch and contactor box. Then measure the distances involved and buy the wiring. Sadly, I'm REALLY looking forward to this process. Do you have an electric on your boat? Any suggestions on the best location for the toggle switch?

sailingdog 02-14-2010 08:04 AM

I'd put the foot switch or hand controls to the windlass such that you can't operate the windlass when you're touching the anchor rode. Too many people have been injured by the windlass while trying to work on the anchor rode—clear a jam, etc—and accidentally triggered the windlass and had their fingers drawn into the gypsy.

BELLATRIX1965 02-14-2010 03:42 PM

Windlass Wiring suggestion -

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6330 (Post 570008)
Right now I'm just chomping at the bit waiting for the new windlass to arrive. 1st order of business is going to try to figure out where to put the toggle switch and contactor box. Then measure the distances involved and buy the wiring.

If you are not aware of these folks yet, check out GenuineDealz.com - Marine Electrical, Boat Wire & Cable, Custom Battery Cables for the heavy cable to your new windlass. The name's hokey, but the product, service and prices are GREAT! They will do a proper crimp/adhesive shrink on the end connections for you for only $1 per crimp. (Get really good measurements!) You must, of course, buy all the individual bits from them, but their prices can't be beat. They even offer free shipping in the lower 48 (not sure about Alaska??). BTW - I have no interest or connection to the company. Good luck with the install!

artbyjody 02-14-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 570000)
:D Glad to help. :) BTW, if the deck is cored where the fastener holes were, rather than solid fiberglass, you will want to coat the holes with unthickened epoxy first then fill with thickened epoxy—otherwise the core material may steal epoxy from the thickened epoxy and starve it...weakening the plug.

I tend to disagree on the coating with epoxy before putting in filler. Three degrees of seperation = more chances a structural bond is not made.

Here is where I find the fallacy. Coating inside with epoxy is great but no mater what amine blush and no guarantee it soaks evenly or pre fill that it is sanded and amine is removed. Hard to do on filling holes.

The better procedure is to counter-drill larger hole topside and below decks so it makes a concave scenario. Fill. If properly oversized - then with washers etc you have a bond stronger than the remaining surface. Always best to reduce amount of bonding layers. The sucking up epoxy out of a fill means that the core was not paid attention too to begin with. Bonding is best one on one not otherwise. My opinion of course.

DwayneSpeer 02-14-2010 05:11 PM

winch or windlass

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 569866)
IS this a winch or a WINDLASS. It sounds like a Windlass. Fill the bolt holes with thickened epoxy—preferably thickened with silica.

Just curious, does the answer change if it's a winch?

sailingdog 02-14-2010 06:15 PM

Jody—

You coat the hole with unthickened epoxy and then fill with thickened epoxy. You don't let the thinned epoxy cure. There is no three degrees of separation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by artbyjody (Post 570209)
I tend to disagree on the coating with epoxy before putting in filler. Three degrees of seperation = more chances a structural bond is not made.

Here is where I find the fallacy. Coating inside with epoxy is great but no mater what amine blush and no guarantee it soaks evenly or pre fill that it is sanded and amine is removed. Hard to do on filling holes.

The better procedure is to counter-drill larger hole topside and below decks so it makes a concave scenario. Fill. If properly oversized - then with washers etc you have a bond stronger than the remaining surface. Always best to reduce amount of bonding layers. The sucking up epoxy out of a fill means that the core was not paid attention too to begin with. Bonding is best one on one not otherwise. My opinion of course.