Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-13-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Hunter 27 revival post #4 2/13/2010 exhaust fix

he exhaust elbow on my boat was a mess, apparently it had rusted through and the P.O. had brazed it whole again. He had brazed it A LOT! Brass everywhere, inside too restricting the exhaust...

So, I ordered a 1 3/8" mandrel bend, hacked the old piece out, and welded in a new one...

Gotta make sure the cut is straight so the new tube butts up with no gaps, this is especially important because I am not a rich dude who can afford a full MIG setup, I have a flux core welder which is not tolerant of gaps or thin metal. It's very difficult to weld something as thin as this with a flux core welder, not something I recommend for a novice. I have welded a Lotus 7 replica frame, and numerous race car exhausts with this welder. As well as a bunch of thicker stuff but that's easy. As you can see it does not make a pretty weld on thin metal, because if you apply too much, you just blow right through it. So, I tack tack tack all around, then put a second full bead around to close it all up and make sure it's strong and solid...

Clean, grind, make sure both fit together...

Tack tack, check alignment, notice NO gaps, tacktacktacktack

I like to have some weld through to the other side, but not this much, the rest was ok...

All welded together, some splatter, but solid...

And painted with high-temp ceramic paint inside and out, I like to do this when the part is still too hot to touch...

Also, I went to West Marine and used their rigging crimper to crimp my battery cables...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
EMKay—

Hope you have and use a CO detector aboard. A small exhaust leak can be deadly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook