Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-16-2010

I33 is on a distinguished road
USCG diesel tank regulations

I need to replace my fuel tanks. The original steel tanks have developed leaks. I thought to go with stainless tanks, but I am being told that stainless is not approved by the Coast Guard for fuel. Can someone point me to the actual regulations in the CFR? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
stainless steel, aluminum, fiberglass and plastic are all allowed as long as they meet the standards, New Boatbuilders Home Page - Fuel Systems
Old 02-16-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
You can build it out of almost anything you like but fuel tanks are an area where the boat owner should be very careful. It isn't just a case of making a mess, like a holding tank, or running out of water in the case of a water tank, or sinking the boat should you run a hose incorrectly.

Fuel has fire and enviromental issues that no one wants to risk as it could take out a whole marina and not even give the crew a chance to escape.

Aluminum is preferred for fuel by many because it is often stronger than plastic.

Plastic is preferred by many because it can be cheaper.

Stainless can be the best choice of all but because it is heavy and expensive most people try to use the thin stuff.

I believe that there is a USCG restriction if using stainless for a gasoline tank. No larger than 20 gallons and it has to be cylindrical with domed ends. No such restrictions on size for diesel tanks. Maybe that is a ABYC standard?

So ask if that is the problem. You can also ask for thicker metal and better, stronger design but that cost dollars.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P

Last edited by Architeuthis; 02-16-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
However, plastic doesn't have the corrosion issues that Aluminum has.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2010

I33 is on a distinguished road
33CFR is for gasoline

I cannot find any mention of diesel tankage in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 33. If anyone knows different, please speak up.

Now, what about ABYC? Do they have standards for diesel tanks? (and don't get me started about them charging exorbitant amounts to read their "standards"--anything safety related should be free for all to study).

Thanks,
Old 02-16-2010
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
If i may jump in here... I am a Heavy Diesel tech and have been for longer than i would like to admit . It seems that opinions are all over the board here.
On a topic of tanks for DIESEL Fuel only.

1)Most are made out of aluminum on modern diesels for heat dissipation and light weight.
We offset the cooling systems by running high volume fuel through the cyl heads to reduce the size of the cooling systems in trucks.
Pro-cons.. corrosion, and condensation are the worst problems. In a large truck etc the heat generated will burn off some of the water the water filter will get the rest..
2) stainless? why? its heavy and will condensate the worst in a boat due to lower temp storage area.
3) plastic is by far the best option. no corrosion, tough, light weight, only slight condensation problem etc. Faced with all options i would stick with a plastic tank.
Just my experience and .02
Old 02-16-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Aluminum...

I have always heard that the preferred material for a diesel tank is 5000 series aluminum. AFAIK that's what Coastline used when they built my new tank to my plans. Coastline Equipment, custom marine tanks.
The result was beautiful, FWIW.

For what it's worth, SS would be my choice for drinking water, and of course a rotomolded HDPE tank for waste (human waste is corrosive stuff!).
Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks

If you wish I can send the link for the diesel tank replacement project with pictures. It's posted over at Ericsonyachts.org.

Best,
LB
Old 02-16-2010

Last year I replaced a rusty steel diesel tank with a custom stainless one and have no complaints. The new tank has a bottom drain so if there is ever a problem it will be easier to clean. As far as the weight difference between aluminum and stainless there shoulsn't be much as the stainless will be thinner. Both materials work well.
Old 02-17-2010

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
I think its rare to have a drain on the bottom of the tank.
I actually thought that was not allowed for most insurance companies,
Not sure ...just what I remember hearing?
Old 02-17-2010

It is allowed for diesel.