Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-16-2010

genieskip is on a distinguished road
Garmin Gpsmap 478

Has anyone else had a problem with this unit if it is used on deck? After a day or two on deck water seems to seep in at the antenna/unit joint and it packs it in. Last summer I even built a little hood for it from plexiglass and it kept the rain off it but the general dampness seems to get to it and it stops receiving the signal from the satellite. Garmin claims it is waterproof but it aint so. I sent the first unit back to them and they gave me a new one but it still has the same hang up.

Does anyone have a GPS that can really live on deck (at least while actively cruising) and keep truckin'?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2010

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Garmin 546

I went with the Garmin 546 because I wanted the larger and higher res screen. I have had it for 2 years with no problems (knock, knock). However I don't leave it at the wheel when I am not using the boat. I remove it and store it below. You can see the bracket to the right of the compass (behind the wheel) here.

And of course it is not meant for double duty on land and sea like the 478, but it serves the needs of the boat. It has been used out in the weather without problems.

cheers,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2010

flatracker is on a distinguished road
The third Garmin

Have had three Garmin chart plotters. The second one was a 298 a few years back. It did get moisture in it in some rough weather, right after it was new. Garmin replaced it, no questions asked. Never any other problems. Current 498 has lived at the helm for three years, in some pretty nasty stuff at times. Like the old Timex watch commercials, it just keeps on tickin. I don't think I would trust any of the units that are made for street or for street/marine usage on a boat.