Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road
That's a nice stove, Wooden. How big is your boat?
I've thought lately that I'd like to find a small--very small--anthracite-burning stove for my 33-footer. Propane is expensive and inefficient, and a diesel heater needs too long a flue. I like solid fuel and hot cast iron, but I really can't see using wood for serious, cold-weather heating on a boat.
Your Morso wouldn't fit, though. And the small iron stoves that are available for boats are made for charcoal or wood. Coal burns much hotter and supposedly the fire boxes will burn out.
Sardines are neat-looking but like the others, they warn against using coal. Fatscos are interesting, but largely stainless steel and I don't think they have coal grates. Stonehorses used to come with a small flower pot-shaped stove made by a defunct foundary in Maine, and they were said to burn coal. Anyone know if used ones are available anyplace? Or of another tiny coal-burner?
John V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011

wooden is on a distinguished road
Hi Thank you for the comments on the stove my boat is 54ft wooden sail yacht, I am from the UK coal is commonly used to heat boats there so I am used to using it, take a look at a UK company called, Davey and co london, I used to be a supplier for them they make just the stove you are looking for, and have a distributor in the USA as far as I know. let me know if I can help further.
Old 12-06-2011

catandahalf is on a distinguished road
i'd use diesel.. Wallas is awesome!

I bought my boat with propane installed - it was all about 30 years old so when I replaced it I decided to look for the best I could afford... my 31' trimaran 'Ceil' has a yanmar diesel so I decided this was a better option than keeping the propane.
I decided on a Wallas diesel stove/heater unit. This unit is the size of a laptop (it mounts in a counter top - so it won't work on a bulkhead... but they do make a heater/only that does... and works so well it's kinda hard to believe. It came with a 2 gal daytank (actually it's closer to a 5 day tank) but I can plumb it into my main tank if needed.

Why this unit?
1. There is NO DIESEL SMELL!! period.
2. it's diesel but exhausts outside using a flexible insulated tube (needs to be permanent through hull -it's not a temp exhaust hose.. - so it was easy to thread it to where it needed to go. The exhaust hose only warms up the cabinet it goes through - no fire danger. I have a trimaran so I exhausted just under the port wing.
3. It is electronically controlled (I even installed a cabin thermostat and timer with mine which i designed - but they now sell one)
4. The wallas is a stove top (glass panel which is large enough when opened for a two qt pot and a frying pan).
5. When the stove is lit (automatic) and the top closed the unit has a fan that comes on and changes it into a space heater. The closed lid also completely insulates the cooking surface so you can put anything on the lid and it will not even get warm. When cooking the lid is open and functions as a back sptwolash for the stove. The stove and heater are lit and controlled with a switch and knob. No lighting anything - ever. No open flames at all.
6. because it's exhausted outside the unit DRYS OUT THE CABIN AIR!! This really is important if you sail in humid climes or when it's so cold that even your breath wets surfaces in the cabin leading to mildew.
7. It is not quite silent because it has a fan for the space heating part but it's pretty quiet.
8. When used as a cooktop it has 'pot holders' that keep things from sliding off the tempered glass cooktop.
9. it heats up a pot to boiling in about 5 minutes.

As for the comment that using propane for cooking/heating saves fuel for the engine... diesel has far more energy per lb than propane (or gas for that matter) and far less fire issues.. You have to carry propane tanks along with the propane gas (i tried carrying the propane in a baggy but it didn't work too well ;-0 ) so you are putting more lbs and square footage (taking up space) in the boat (i have a trimaran so weight is important) and more complexity. I'd rather put an aux diesel tank in and then I'd actually have MORE fuel for the engine in a bind (i'd just have to run the stove/heater less).

FYI the service dept for the wallas is great too. They answered questions and shipped parts when asked very quickly. That makes my $0.25 worth... good luck with your choice!

Last edited by catandahalf; 12-06-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2011

ron_hudson is on a distinguished road
Drain valve I think

I have TSL17 heating system and the drain(?) valve is broken .I have attached a photo of it.Any ideas what is called and an online source where I can buy one?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?-img_0058.jpg  
Old 12-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_hudson View Post
I have TSL17 heating system and the drain(?) valve is broken .I have attached a photo of it.Any ideas what is called and an online source where I can buy one?

Thanks
Looks like a standard radiator draincock to me... should be readily available, the rest of the fittings look like standard NPT.. look for something like this (but maybe in brass or bronze if available)

Edelmann 313800 - Drain **** | O'Reilly Auto Parts

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-26-2011

ron_hudson is on a distinguished road
great... thank you.. isn't the internet wonderful
Old 12-26-2011

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VallelyJ View Post
Fatscos are interesting, but largely stainless steel and I don't think they have coal grates.
John V.
I'm sitting next to my Fatsco, burning hot. It is my second winter in water. I use charcoals, I just can not find a reliable source of anthracite. Anyway, the stove have an inner iron insert and an iron grate. Yes, it is assembled using stainless steel parts, however the inner lay of the stove is iron. I would't hesitate to use a coal in it.
Old 12-26-2011

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road
WE have a solid fuel 'shipmate' bulkhead mounted stove. This thing came w/the boat as we bought her last year. I have had maybe 5-6 fires in the thing so far. Burning charcoal. Lighting the fire with knot lighter. Great heat and heats the boat, but must be tended to every couple hours. Messy, yes, as far as ashes. Basically when there is a fire going someone has to tend to it, just like sailing, the boat doesn't sail itself.
Oh, And another thing about solid fuel, at start up the whole cabin can fill w/smoke until sufficient draft by the heat of the fire will suk it out!
Old 01-14-2012

JVallely is on a distinguished road
CR--thanks for the post re your Fatsco stove.
I'm curious--about how quickly does it go through charcoal, or about how long does a charge last?
JV
Old 01-15-2012

JVallely is on a distinguished road
b40Ibis--you might try burning a wad of newspaper on top of the fuel immediately before you light the charcoal.
Burning the paper first puts a quick shot of heat up the flue, initiating a draft. Then when you light your charcoal, more of the smoke is likely to be drawn up the warm flue. Experiment with the amount of newspaper you need--a couple pages starts the draft up my woodstove chimney at home. Smokes something wicked otherwise, if I just light the tinder first.
John
skygazer likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.