Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Re: Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?

Very interesting. How big is it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I've still got the big Dickenson range in the galley and have used it for really cold and convenience several times in the last few years. What really gets used is the wood heater. and the Panasonic convection/microwave oven.All bases are covered at little operating cost. When things get bad I can convert Dicky to wood too. Up da Coast.
Old 04-01-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
I've still got the big Dickenson range in the galley and have used it for really cold and convenience several times in the last few years. What really gets used is the wood heater. and the Panasonic convection/microwave oven.All bases are covered at little operating cost. When things get bad I can convert Dicky to wood too. Up da Coast.
One tip that may come in handy one day if you're short on diesel. You can stick wood in the burning chamber and burn it instead of diesel. You'll have to clean out the fuel inlet at the bottom of the burning chamber afterwords but it IS ready to use with wood without any modification. If your dickenson has a fan to assist diesel combustion in the burning chamber like mine did, it REALLY gets the wood going. My stack started glowing cherry red until I turned off the fan.

MedSailor
Bilgewater likes this.
Old 04-01-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a home made stove using boiler nuts aka anthracite
the design is heavy cast sewer pipe with air intake on the bottom and chimney on the top I lined the firebox with a fire brick insert and high heat mortar
the fuel is fed from the top and a clean-out on the bottom
the grate is 2 sewer grate one fixed one movable to allow for shaking clinkers out
all parts are cast iron
Wow--That's quite a shop project. You just bolted the whole thing together?
The more I've thought and read about it, the more I like the idea of anthracite.
Been looking for a cheap used Fatsco, figuring that if it can't handle the high temps, I won't be out much, and I can always use it for wood or charcoal, in spite of my misgivings about the efficiency.
Old 04-01-2012
Bilge water barnacle

white74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VallelyJ View Post
Wow--That's quite a shop project. You just bolted the whole thing together?
The more I've thought and read about it, the more I like the idea of anthracite.
Been looking for a cheap used Fatsco, figuring that if it can't handle the high temps, I won't be out much, and I can always use it for wood or charcoal, in spite of my misgivings about the efficiency.
yes its all bolted with stove seal cord for gaskets
the fuel tube is a 3" flange y joint one side goes to chimney pipe
the fuel box is 12" long x 12" diam ductile iron pipe w/flange both ends lined with 2" fire brick and clay / sand / water mix
the bottom has a t joint
grates for clean-out and air intake
it takes about 20 minutes to light and burns for hours on one load of coal
heats a large boat 40+ to comfortable temp about 1 hr
the taller the chimney the better
William White
SV Rangatira
1974 Discovery 32 Sloop
Old 04-02-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Coal costs , wood is free. I have to find coal and transport it long distances. Wood is 100 feet away, dingy rowing distance. Any time I run out , I can row 100 feet and get more, a weeks supply in 15 minutes. . .
Old 04-03-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
One tip that may come in handy one day if you're short on diesel. You can stick wood in the burning chamber and burn it instead of diesel. You'll have to clean out the fuel inlet at the bottom of the burning chamber afterwords but it IS ready to use with wood without any modification. If your dickenson has a fan to assist diesel combustion in the burning chamber like mine did, it REALLY gets the wood going. My stack started glowing cherry red until I turned off the fan.

MedSailor
That's a good tip Med and one I have never even considered. I suppose you could cover the fuel inlet with a SS shot glass or something like that. Although after wood, it will need a good cleaning anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 04-03-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow View Post
That's a good tip Med and one I have never even considered. I suppose you could cover the fuel inlet with a SS shot glass or something like that. Although after wood, it will need a good cleaning anyway.
Glad you liked the tip. It acutally worked spectacularly well with no modification at all. You can also use the carburetor on the stove to supply a few TBSP of diesel then turn it OFF and use that little puddle of diesel to start your logs ablaze (with or without fan). Who needs kindling!

Since it worked so famously I designed (but never installed) a three way "T" valve at the bottom of the carburetor instead of just the 90deg elbow. It would allow you to flush a small amount of diesel down by gravity to flush out the remaining ash. Covering up the hole would be better though I think.

The ash was never really a problem though. If I recall the hole at the bottom of the drip pot was something like 3/4" diameter and the diesel only needs to seep through that wide opening so obstructions don't affect it much. Besides the diesel itself usually produces heaps of soot and that never bothered the drip pot.

MedSailor
Old 04-03-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Med ..Good to know it can be done.I had imaged a welded fire box with fire brick like in my wood heater. Cutting the bits up so small for the existing fire bowl would warm you to the point you don't need to burn them .I thought of taking up some of the oven volume and a single turn of copper pipe on the top of the remaining oven for hot water. As for cleaning, nothing beats diesel soot for messy. Wood ash every time .Oh did we mention odour de fuel?
Old 04-03-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Med ..Good to know it can be done.I had imaged a welded fire box with fire brick like in my wood heater. Cutting the bits up so small for the existing fire bowl would warm you to the point you don't need to burn them .I thought of taking up some of the oven volume and a single turn of copper pipe on the top of the remaining oven for hot water. As for cleaning, nothing beats diesel soot for messy. Wood ash every time .Oh did we mention odour de fuel?
Want to heat your hot water tank using your Dickinson stove? The engineering has already been done. This puppy fits right in the combustion chamber of the stove. Plumbs out the back:

Sure Marine Service, Inc. * Since 1972 * Marine Heating, Air Conditioning, and Galley Equipment

SureMarine by the way is an absolute CLASS ACT of a shop. I used to live a few blocks from them. They're great and they've forgotten more about diesel, propane and other forms of heat than the rest of us will ever learn.

MedSailor

PS Which stove do you have? I might still have the 2 turn coil that I never installed still laying around in the "things I can't throw away" pile. PM me if interested, if I still have it, it's not worth much to me.