Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Re: Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?

I would like to have a wee stove in my ship one day.
For 20 years now, I have used my Eberspacher. It is a reliable unit, and makes quite a difference on the coldest day.
It is not so good at drying the boat though, and tends to circulate humid air in a wee circle. The windows do build up a lot of condensation.
I understand that a stove is much better at drying the ship. Maybe one day I will fit one. Burning wood can be smoky though and it can make for unpopularity in a crowded anchorage or on the pontoon. An Eberspacher has no such difficulties.

One advantage of the Eberspacher is that you can run the hot ducting under the quarterberth, and when you sleep there you have underbed heating on the coldest night.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

That two turn coil can boil a 15 gal tank over night unless it's dissipated into a rad pipe. I run one both fore and aft .That would be a major retro fit on most boats.And unless it thermosyphons needs a circulating pump and vapour vents if it is a domestic pressure system Helps a lot if the fire box is the lowest part of the hot side and its all up hill to the vapour releasing unit.I'm not so keen on the temporary use of wood in the diesel configuration. Darned hot so close to the carb (at the very least it could melt the shut down plug.) and lines connected to major fuel source. I think I'll continue to heat my coffee in the micro until I go all wood.
Old 04-03-2012

svmoonstruck is on a distinguished road

We've had wood and diesel bulkhead heaters.And a couple of free standing diesel heaters over the years. I've seen the horrifying results of a propane bulkhead heater, although I'm sure they are much safer these days. Our last boat had a forced air Webasto. We had trouble free and almost instant heat for ten years with that boat ( Fisher 30) One of the first modifications on this sailboat was another Webasto furnace. Heat, just like at home, with a thermostat! Without taking up cabin space. Very efficient and low cost fuel wise. Tap the main diesel tank with a pickup tube and your set.
Old 04-12-2012

lannit is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread! I have a bulkhead mounted stainless steel "Shipmate" stove which came with a 1978 Pearson 323 I recently purchased (and it seems to be made by a company other than the one that produces small cast iron stoves of the same name). It's not clear which solid fuels are appropriate to use in it. It has a fairly small firebox with a beefy cast iron grate and a small, removable ash drawer under it. I have burned 6-8 charcoal briquettes at a time and warmed the cabin quickly from the ambient 40F to 70F with low stack temperatures, but refueling was needed every 45-60 minutes. Does anyone one else have one of these stoves? If so, what solid fuels have you used in it and what do you recommend?
Old 04-21-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Old time 'presto logs' can be broken up into stove size bits. Cleaner than coal type fuel. A fire place log bit can help with start but too much wax for a stove. Prestos used to be .10 apiece but are well over a buck now.smaller too.It's just sawdust squeezed back into wood. Most joinery and moulding shops have a bin of small chunks of ends. (for the asking) They burn fast and bright but we're looking for ambiance.
Old 04-21-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

In cities, construction sites can be a good source of wood, as can building supplies.
Old 05-21-2012

superiorvoyager is on a distinguished road

I have had various heat sources in boats. My current Boat has Propane heat which is OK and is as others have mentioned pretty instant. I find it doesn't really take the chill out though as well as my old wood in the last boat. My last boat had a great little wood stove built in the lunenburg foundry in NS. I loved it. It heated the boat wonderfully, took the chill out, and burned little fuel. We could get the fire going with small kindling and then throw on Charcoal and it would stay toasty all night (it was very airtight.) It was also great on a rainy afternoon or evening with the kids. We could open the grate up and have a marshmellow roast.
Old 06-03-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I put a wood stove in a big old Wheeler that I lived on years ago. It worked out really well. Wood is very nice for drying things out. It takes more moisture out of the air than other stoves. My sailboat has a kero bulkhead heater that makes smelly fumes if not adjusted just right. It's also a real PITA to light: preheat, etc. and I have one more can of flammable fuel to deal with. With the small amount of btus a boat needs, I vote for wood. You could even buy some of those packaged logs made from processed wood which would probably go a long way. Unless you're living on a boat where it's cold, stove use is minimal. There's also less likelihood of blowing yourself up with wood. Propane on a boat is a scary proposition for ANY appliance.
Old 06-03-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

Smurphy-What make was your wood stove?
John V
Alajuela 33
Old 06-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

It was not a "marine" product. Was a small standard airtight box stove. They have holes in the legs that can be screwed down to the deck. It was ok for a powerboat with a large cabin but doubt one would work on a sailboat too well unless some additional bracing could be designed. Maybe some kind of solid base instead of the cast iron legs which I wouldn't trust with the boat heeled over.