Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-02-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
No one yet?
no REAL live feedback?
Don't look at me, we don't even have an aircon at home....

but but but...doesn't all this machinery make an awful lot of noise ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
ck this out.. no gasoline required!
"the things you find on Ebay "

Honda EU2000i Inverter Generator w/ Triple-Fuel System - eBay (item 390246345344 end time Oct-06-10 10:50:34 PDT)

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2011

galynd is on a distinguished road
Anything new with the smartstart? anyone install it yet? My honda EB3000c has a hard time starting my 16,000 unit. It usually takes a few tries. Is it for use only with Dometic air? I know, it's a little cold right now but it gets miserably hot during the summer in se texas.
Old 02-08-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Giovanetti, can the SmartStart be used with AC units from other [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']manufacturers[/FONT]?

Thanks for an informative write-up,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-16-2011
Captain

bfharris is on a distinguished road
It Works!

After reading lots of info on the SmartStart, but finding no real life consumer results, I was skeptical about spending the money on the device.

We had a Marine Airrr 16k BTU a/c and was not able to get the Honda to run it with eco on or off, so we used a 9,000 btu portable unit while on the hook in 100 degree temps. The Honda would run the portable unit, but only with eco off.

I tried the Supco device on the boat unit and measured a 5 amp reduction in start surge, but that was not enough to get the Honda to start the a/c.

We replaced our boat unit with a Mermaid 16,5000 btu unit and took the plunge purchasing a SmartStart, which I am here to tell you was the best investment I've probably ever made for my boat. The SmartStart reliably starts my a/c every single try with ECO on!! It is amazing!

My dad now has a SmartStart on order to repeat my success.

Here's a blog post on the subject if anyone wants to read.

New Temps in the Air; cabin air that is… « s/v Monomoy's blog
Old 09-19-2011

dometic smartstart

any new info on the smartstart? havent heard any new information lately. I sent email to dometic to ask if it works with ocean breeze ac's but no reply. anyone know? how could I get wiring schematic?
Old 09-20-2011
Manufacturer

DometicMarine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by galynd View Post
any new info on the smartstart? havent heard any new information lately. I sent email to dometic to ask if it works with ocean breeze ac's but no reply. anyone know? how could I get wiring schematic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Giovanetti, can the SmartStart be used with AC units from other manufacturers
(Please accept our apologies for not responding until now. We apparently missed the e-mail alert for this thread back in February.)
The SmartStart will work with A/Cs from other manufacturers. There are some exceptions, however, even with some Dometic Marine equipment from before 2000 (older Cruisair and Marine Air Systems units).

First, you must remember to choose the right SmartStart model. There are 3 different ones, depending on the voltage of your compressor and its BTU capacity.

Second, the SmartStart will work with pretty much any rotary or scroll compressor that is a permanent split capacitor motor (i.e. has a run cap).

Third, SmartStarts work with most reciprocating compressors, but there are some older models of these compressors (pre-2000) on which the SmartStart will not work optimally. It has to do with how the compressor motor windings were designed and the target start capacitor for these motors. Many of these older compressors require start capacitors that are much smaller than the run capacitors. Modern compressors require start capacitor values that are closer to and often exceed the size of the run capacitors. SmartStarts were designed to work with the present-day compressors, as best as could be done, given the thousands of compressor models that are out there.

So, whether or not a SmartStart will work on your non-Dometic/Cruisair/Marine Air A/C system will be a function your system's compressor model.

If you have a question, post your system's compressor manufacturer and model # here or send me a private message, and I can research it for you. (Note, the compressor manufacturer and its model # should be visible on a label on the side of the actual compressor, providing that the A/C system manufacturer didn't paint over it; the manufacturer of the entire A/C system and its model # are not required.) Admittedly, there are some wiring modifications that can be done to resolve the start-to-run capacitor size ratio issue that some older reciprocating compressors have. I can advise on those depending on what you have. There are no guarantees that all compressors can be made to work with the SmartStart, however, so please be understanding of that for your particular case.

A basic wiring diagram is available on the second page of the SmartStart's spec sheet, available online at: http://dometic.com/cbcde79f-6594-4d0...e153c982.fodoc

Thank you for your continued interest and support.

Thank you.
M. Giovanetti
Director of Technology
Dometic Marine Corporation
Old 09-20-2011

Thank you for your quick reply. I will pm you or post the compressor model after I go to the boat this weekend. The unit is an Ocean Breeze, model OB16CH. 16,700 BTU, draws 11.25 amps, QU288 thermostat. I believe it is a 2007 model.
Old 09-26-2011

PM with compressor Mgf. and model # sent as requested.
thx.
Old 11-23-2011

VIKINGBEAR is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down It does NOT work

Dometic
I have read your report which states that the Cruisair 16000 btu with Smart Start installed, will run on a Honda 2000 generator.
My new Cruisair 16000 btu (split unit) was installed on my 31' sailboat June 2010 and as the salesman/installer also said that if I installed a Smart Start I would be able to run the A/C on a 2000 Honda generator, I did install the Smart Start ($500).
I also then purchased a Honda 2000 ($1100)
I have tried many times but have not been able to start the Cruisair. I have tried with the fan and water pump already running (pump on a different circuit) but to no avail. After reading your glowing report I tried again last week. Still unable to start the Cruisair, but blew the thermostat in the process.
I wasted $ 1,600.-

If I want the Cruisair to operate when at anchor, it appears I must buy another Honda 2000 companion for another $1,100.- and run both generators.
With two Honda's operating I would not have needed the Smart Start.
You need to rewrite your report so other people do not make the same mistake I did.
I am located in Key Largo.