Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-24-2011
Captain

bfharris is on a distinguished road
I question the validity of VikingBear.

I personally have installed the SmartStart on three different boats and my father has installed one on his. Three of the boats are running the Mermaid 16,500 BTU unit and one is running a CruiseAir 16,000. All four can run the air conditioner off of the Honda eu2000i with no problem. The Honda can't run anything else (battery chargers, etc) while the A/C is running, but it will run the A/C if that is the only load. If the Honda is cold, then Eco will have to be off in order for it to handle the startup, but once the Honda has warmed up, then it will cycle the air on and off with no problem on Eco.

This is my personal experience and I have no connection with any of the companies involved other than being a customer.

I question VikingBear, because he has one post and that is to complain about the setup. He also mentions he paid $500 for the SmartStart, which means he didn't do a bit of research, because it can easily be found for $350. He also said he paid $1,100 for the Honda, which is also nuts, because it can easily be found shipped to your door for under $900.

If VikingBear truly did install the SmartStart and hasn't had success, then I believe the wiring should be double checked to make sure the SmartStart was properly installed in order for it to do its job. There are only four wires on the SmartStart, but it is still possible to have incorrectly wired it.

I'm not attempting to get into any shouting match and what not. I simply wanted to respond with my personal opinion, which is not to be construed as advice and can be taken in any fashion the reader wishes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2011

VIKINGBEAR is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down It does NOT work

bfharris.
Not sure why you question my VALIDITY?
That one can possibly now buy a Smart Start for $350.- and a Honda for less than $900 is not of interest at this stage.
I paid - in June last year- $ 500.- for the Smart Start.
The Honda was on sale at Northern Tool for $999.- With sales tax that would be about $ 1,070.- which is pretty darn close to $1,100.-
Please do not question my validity.
My set up does not work, as I described earlier. If it did I would not have posted.
I have also contacted Dometic directly. Maybe they can explain why it does not work and post it in this forum for other people as well.
I am not complaing about the Cruiseair A/C, it runs fine on shorepower, but at the report from Dometic which indicates that if you install a Smart Start you can run the A/C off a Honda 2000 if you have the right type of compressor.
The Honda 2000 watts (16.7 A) of Honda Inverter 120V AC Power
In the test run By Dometic and mposted in this forum, the start ur surge on the 16000 btu Cruisair using Smart Start was reduced from 57 to 18 A. Impressive result but -if I understand this right - still more than the Honda can deliver. Wish I had looked into this more earlier.
Validity, puh!
Happy Thyanksgiving to all.
Old 12-09-2011

Mabruteam is on a distinguished road
Smart start Dometic

Yes the smart start is doing a good job not only on lowering the start surge but also saving the compressor and the generator windings. We already installed close to 40 units, our webasto FCF unit 16000 BTu is now able to run on a 15A outlet... Bat charger on and 3 indelB 12V portable refrigerators!!! Available on ebay for just $350
We did several chillers, a Lagoon sail 38 with 4 units on a 6kw kohler (16k 9k and two 5k), also a 2950 proline with a 5k btu on a 1000 honda eu gen set, this is good for small and large boats, i recommend this product.
Old 01-29-2012

Sailinstuff is on a distinguished road
Please email me!!!!!

I want to know where to get an eu2000i delivered to my door in one of the 48 contiguous states for less than $900!!!!!! I'm in the market but I haven't found that price!

I'm interested in this thread for both boat and rv use. I already own one eu200i. If I buy another (which is not too awfully far above the cost of the dometic appliance) I have a backup and a very flexible setup. I'd like to buy the dometic product but I really don't see how people are buying it when they can spend a little more and get the whole 2nd generator.

Anyway, bfharris please email to me the vendor who sells the eu2000i delivered for less than $900. I want that deal. My email is my name here at yahoo. (Of course with a dotcom.) And thanks!!!
Old 01-30-2012

Mabruteam is on a distinguished road
Honda generaor eu 2000

We have them here in Miami florida available at northerntools.com
Honda EU2000IAN1 Companion | Honda | Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 01-30-2012

I'm a pretty good shopper. I've already checked Northern Tool. But I followed up on that anyway and called them again. EU2000i delivered to my door costs $1123 as per Northern Tool this morning. That's a far cry from "less than $900". *And* it is right in line with what Vikingbear said he paid. *And* Vikingbear got his whole setup installed so there must be some cost/value with that.

I say again - I want that deal! Somebody please tell me where I can get an eu2000i delivered to my door for less than $900!

*And* I will add that after thinking about it, Marbruteam, you said you installed a dometic thing on a boat with an eu1000i. But if you were taking care of your customer, why didn't you recommend them buying an eu2000i instead of their 1000? If they were buying new, they could have bought a 2000 (and paid the difference) for less than the cost of the dometic thing and had a better generator and a simpler system! If they already had the 1000 they could ebay it and buy a 2000 and have a *new* and better generator for the same money they spent on the dometic thing.

That's *if* the dometic thing works.

I don't think you're steering your customers right.

And if they want a bigger gennie, sized just right, with a twist lock 3-prong outlet (to match a shore cord) then google a Champion 4000/3500. It's reputed to be a Honda knockoff. It's quiet. (I just happened to hear one running on an rv in a parking lot just 2 days ago. There is not an appreciable difference between it and an honda 2000.) Cabella's has them on sale for $309 *including shipping*. My issue with it is that I don't want a 100 pound gennie. I want portable. Two 2000's fit that bill. I thought about buying a Champion for the rv. But the same question comes to my mind that I posed before: Why don't I just spend a little more and get another 2000 and have a honda, have a backup generator, and have the ultimate in flexibility and portability? I have to choose to buy another honda. It makes sense.

And that's the same issue with the dometic appliance. It needs to cost about $100. Maybe $150. If it's $350, then it just makes sense to just spend a little more and get a second eu2000i. Did you point that out to your customers? Did you point out that the dometic appliance is not portable? That it "learns" the system where it is installed? So they can't take it to another boat or to an rv? Did you point out that if their genny goes down, they're just stuck, but if they have a backup genny they're still in business?

Somebody please tell me where I can get an eu200i delivered to my door for less than $900. I want to buy that deal.
Old 01-30-2012

And dometic, if you're reading this, cut your price to $125 and sell a buncha units. You'll make more money. *Plus* - read above. Several people have questioned the pricing. Do yourself a favor. Instead of trying to justify and over sell something your constituency feels is over priced, get your pricing in line with your market's expectations and create an appreciative customer base. You will make more money in the long run!!!!!
Old 01-30-2012

PPS to dometic: Cut it to $125 and I'll probably buy one for the boat and one for the rv. Keep the pricing as is and I won't buy it at all. I'll buy a 2nd eu2000i. Your choice. Let me know before I buy my second genny 'cause at that point, with the honda service record, I likely won't need your product for many, many years.
Old 01-30-2012

PPPS: Even at a generator cost of $1100 it makes sense. If the genny cost is less than 900 (I still haven't seen that deal) it's a no-brainer.
Old 01-30-2012

PPPPS: An appliance to make a genny work (the dometic thing) that costs more than a genny that does the job (the Champion) is just clearly out of line on pricing. It's just obvious.