Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-02-2010

hazmat17 is on a distinguished road
Ended up going with Garmin (mostly)

4208 plotter mounted on pod on the new pedestal guard
(4) GMI 10 instruments mounted in a pod above the companionway
Standard Horizon GSX2100 VHF with AIS RX and remote MIC at the pedestal.
Actisense N2K to NMEA183 converter to provide GPS to the VHF w/o the plotter running

Only been out sailing once.
Garmin screens are easy to read in sunlight, and the equipment is intuitive to use. My wife really likes them.

I hear rumours that Garmin is coming out with a sailboat autopilot soon. In the meantime there are some N2K choices out there (Simrad & Nexus IIRC).

Next winter I'm thinking of adding radar and a new autopilot.

Lessons learned:
1- Pay the yard to install the new wind sensor I couldn't reach the top of my mast with 2 hands free while in my new topclimber chair (I needed 1 arm to steady myself while standing in the stirrups) - to add insult to injury I dropped my cordless drill (which was on a lanyard) and the new whirlygig (which was in the topclimpber "bag") on the way back down the mast. Now I'm out $700 to replace them.

2- I went with the "mini" (largest) size N2K cabling as the backbone - man that stuff is huge - big honking holes (1.25") to get thru cabinets etc. Also the power T is enormous. If I was doing it again, I'd go "mid" for the backbone.

3- budget some extra $$ for cables - Garmin is kind enough to supply you some with each unit, but the lengths will not be "right" - either too long or too short. You can get field installable connectors and cut down the ones that are too long. I've got a whole box full of extra parts (cables, t's etc.)

4- Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog is a great resource

I'll try to remember to take some pix soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.