Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-22-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
oh no, silicone mess

I just rebedded all ports with new material. Limo glass on the four smaller, Lexan on the two big ones in the cabin. I used DAP and GE clear for the 'bedding' part and DAP black for the exterior bead. Someone at ye ole hardware told me i can remove excess with rubbing alcohol...

so in my infinite wisdom, thinking that the silicone was the cheapest part of the operation and the most critical i applied it very liberally. i mean very. LOL.

now i want to get the excess of the exterior side of the ports. my thumb has worked pretty well for most of it, but to really clean it up i wonder if any of you know the best solution. im particularly concerned about using anything that could perm. cloud the lexan.

thanks ahead, Quinn

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
sell the boat it is the easiest way to get rid of the mess
Old 02-22-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
ohhhhhh, no.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to castigate you fully, but in the meantime, here's my advice. Playing with it now will make an even bigger mess. Unless you get it cleaned up within 20 minutes of application, wait. Wait for it to cure fully, then carefully cut it back using a PLASTIC razor blade. It will cut the silicone goose droppings but not damage the FG underneath. clean up the remainder with goo-gone. NOT acetone.
Old 02-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, I'd agree with BLJones... let the stuff cure and the cut the excess away with a plastic razor. I'd also point out that you really shouldn't listen to the guys at the hardware store, since most of them are completely clueless.

Second, you should have used Dow 795, not DAP or GE silicone from the hardware store, which is what it sounds like you used. DAP and GE are not structural adhesives like Dow 795 is, and really not well suited for this type of application.

Third, you probably should have gotten plexiglass or acrylic rather than lexan or polycarbonate for the big ports. If something hits the polycarbonate hard enough, it will flex and foreshorten—breaking the seal between it and the silicone. Acrylic generally will not do this.

Finally, by liberally spreading the silicone over the cabin top and sides, you've basically guaranteed that almost nothing will stick to those surfaces properly in the future. Silicone sealants tend to leave a trace of silicone oils that are very pernicious and difficult to remove or clean up. The oils get into the minute pores in the gelcoat and stay there.

Generally, when working with silicone and bedding ports in it, you should mask off the area around the port so that you can clean up the silicone very neatly and not contaminate the surrounding surfaces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2010
SV Déjàlà

braidmike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Second, you should have used Dow 795, not DAP or GE silicone from the hardware store, which is what it sounds like you used. DAP and GE are not structural adhesives like Dow 795 is, and really not well suited for this type of application.
SD, when using polycarbonate (ie Lexan), Dow 995 has been formulated as a structural adhesive for that product. It seems to have a better bond with a wider range of substrates. I'm not an expert: I consulted with some when mounting some lexan, and this product has lived up to expectations. I think the modulus of elasticity is greater, compensating for the lexan's ability to 'give'. I know it does not clean-up as well as 795! Masking is imperative.

FWIW,
Mike
Old 02-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Braidmike—

Thanks for that info... I doubt the OP used Dow 995 or 795 though....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Luckily (if there is any to be found in this saga) the only mess i made is on the glass itself not the fiberglass.... ill try the plastic razor. gadzooks. one step forward and two steps back...

lol. thanks guys
Q

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.