SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Replacing lines

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  bubb2 
#1 ·
I am replacing some lines on my 41 Morgan OI and would like some help. I need to replace the line on the roller fuller drum it is now a ¼” line and it is a bit hard to roll up so I want to increase the size any suggestions on size and type or manufacture "I can put up to a ½” line", Second one of my jib lines has some fraying it is ¾” I have been told by a few friends the lines are too big I like the size and it is easy to hold onto, but the question is what type of line would you use and why?

#4 ·
I am replacing some lines on my 41 Morgan OI and would like some help. I need to replace the line on the roller fuller drum it is now a ¼" line and it is a bit hard to roll up so I want to increase the size any suggestions on size and type or manufacture "I can put up to a ½" line", Second one of my jib lines has some fraying it is ¾" I have been told by a few friends the lines are too big I like the size and it is easy to hold onto, but the question is what type of line would you use and why?
For my 40 footer I use 3/8 dacron on the furling line and 7/16 dacron for the jib sheets. Both sizes have been more than adequate for the job.

#5 ·
Some thoughts...

I am replacing some lines on my 41 Morgan OI and would like some help. I need to replace the line on the roller fuller drum it is now a ¼" line and it is a bit hard to roll up so I want to increase the size any suggestions on size and type or manufacture "I can put up to a ½" line", Second one of my jib lines has some fraying it is ¾" I have been told by a few friends the lines are too big I like the size and it is easy to hold onto, but the question is what type of line would you use and why?
First, does the drum turn easily by hand? If not, there is another problem.

3/8-inch line sounds fine - that is the I have - but the core was removed so that it still fits the drum. If you up-size you may find the the drum will not hold all of the line. Most chandleries will remove the core for you for a modest fee. Only remove the core from the portion that is on the drum when the sail is out, and perhaps even a bit less than that.

#7 ·
Sta-SetX is way too stiff for sheets IMHO.

#10 ·
BTW, I'd stick with 1/2 for the genny sheets. Have you tried tying knots in 5/8" line... not much fun and the knots are really heavy and pack a wallop.

#11 ·
Don't have a furler (yet), so won't try to speak to that. For your jib sheets if you like the larger line because it's easy to handle, than stick with it. I have HUGE job sheets on my new boat as well and while I find them easy to hang on to I can only get 3 wraps around the winch, and with our monster headsail in high winds I find that isn't enough. I'll be downsizing the sheets in order to be able to get another wrap on the winch.

Whatever you do, make sure you don't change the size too much if you have self tailing winches. You don't want to find that your new line won't work with the ST winches.

Medsailor

#12 ·
No reason on earth to have anything bigger than 1/2" on any reasonable sized boat. A single braid (salsa, apex, etc) for the furler in 5/16 or 3/8 would work really well. I'd probably use 3/8 or 7/16 for jib sheets. Always go as small as possible that you can still handle well. Smaller lines run better and hockle less.

#13 ·
And are lighter and less expensive. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.