Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2010

byrd151 is on a distinguished road
Dodgers or not

We have a bimini and an attachable dodger the ties to the bimini. Been thinking lately about making a permanent dodger. Seeing what folks think about having the dodger fixed all the time. We're not sailing the world - just coastal. Nice at times, but in the hot summers wonder if worth having. Rain and blowing it sure comes in handy. Occasional racing would be in the way. Wondering what others do
Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
up most of the time

Our hard dodger is up almost all of the time except occasionally when we race we will remove the screen from it, leaving the top. Cuts down the wind resistance a bit. Other times I wouldn't go without it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Make it so the front window removes, rolls or folds up. I promise you life will improve.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 02-23-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Always up, love it, couldn't imagine not having one now.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-23-2010

Shortman is on a distinguished road
It's a necessity but I only have it up if necessary. Put it up, take it off ~5 mins. I like seeing, especially in Maine doing the lobster trap two step, the wind in my face (on warm days).
I also think it ruins the look of a boat, like a cap on a pickup. But then again we all have our own pecadillos.
Old 02-23-2010
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Canvas dodger is always up but the front window zips out for air circulation. Having the breeze in the cockpit is nice and the window is only closed when it rains as that keeps the raindrops out of the companionway and salon.

MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 02-23-2010

fordo is on a distinguished road
I don't have a hard dodger. I sail with it down, or off, unless its raining or someone needs the shade. I love the open view of no dodger,so I keep it down. When it rains, its up. Who needs rain below?
Old 02-23-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
My wife made our dodger with our sailrite machine last year to replace our old one. I re did the bows so theat the new dodge is essentally another bimini with front and side panels which can be removed when it is really hot in the summer to allow air all around in, but keep the bimini part keeps shade on the cabin and companionway. We got the idea from looking at a few boats with permanent dodgers built the same way with panels added to them.

There are many variations with the different set ups of panels as we found. The front was one whole panel with lots of strataglass, which the two sides had strata glass windows in them. Of course we made a connector piece to the bimini which allowed us to travel on some fairly rainy ugly days. If it was me I would only have the top part of the dodger as a permanent fixture.

She is redoing the bimini over the helm this year with side and back panels to match the front so we could have it enclosed and sail during really cold weather.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-23-2010

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Ours can be totaly fold down, or just have the window removed depending on how hot it is. Can't imagine not having such options.
Old 02-23-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
My wife made our dodger with our sailrite machine last year to replace our old one. I re did the bows so theat the new dodge is essentally another bimini with front and side panels which can be removed when it is really hot in the summer to allow air all around in, but keep the bimini part keeps shade on the cabin and companionway. We got the idea from looking at a few boats with permanent dodgers built the same way with panels added to them.

Photo by Joe McCary