Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-24-2010

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
Manson Supreme 25 or 35???

Ok I've read alot of threads on this but am now on the cusp of buying. The question is 25lbs or 35lbs.

I have an Irwin 32.5 Centercockpit sloop. 13000lbs 4 ft draft I am jsut going off the top of my head here. I would just get the 25 if it would be what I would use it for over the next two years (Galveston Bay and Texas coast) but plan, as lots of others do, to go south through central america in two min. three max years. Is the extra 10lbs going to kill a thirty y.o.'s back much more than the 25. I am more worried about breaking it out of the mud as I do not have a windlass yet but am planning on a manual in the future (any used manual windlass's out there?).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2010

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
O yes I have looked at the manufacturers recomendations but still have the bigger is better thought in my mind.
Old 02-24-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
13,000lb boat, plus stores . . . definitely the 35. Thirty y.o. in good health . . . no problem-o.
Old 02-24-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
It comes down to the role that you want the anchor to play. Some people primarily daysail and simply want a lunch hook and something to hang on once a year overnight and then a smaller anchor is fine. However, for someone who wants to anchor out a lot or sees their anchor as part of their storm gear (you need a backup plan when your engine won't push you into it and you can't reef down far enough in tight quarters) bigger is better. It sounds to me like you are probably in the second category which means getting a bigger anchor.

Most of the manufacturer recommendations are a joke in my opinion. They are for 30 knots and ideal conditions which is fine for a lunch hook but not okay when a 50 knot thunderstorm rolls through the anchorage and you don't have time to run and do something else. In my opinion, the closest to honest anchor sizing chart is the Rocna one which is pretty applicable for you since the Rocna and Manson Supreme have very similar holding characteristics.

Personally, I have a 33lb Rocna on a 10,000lb 30' boat and would have gone with the 44lb if I had a windlass. I like to sail a distance which means that I don't have the luxury of returning to my mooring for storms so I need an anchor that can get me through a decent blow.

If I were in your shoes, I would go with the 35lb anchor. You can always use the engine to break it out if it gets well buried.
Old 02-24-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Get the 35, but also get a 25, and a 8 pounder on some light rode. Then you have a storm anchor, an everyday anchor, and a lunch hook. On my boat (5000 lb 26') I have a 15lb danforth clone with a combination chain/3 strand rode. I also have an 8 pound "super hooker" on light line, just as a lunch hook. One nice thing about a small boat is that even a storm anchor can be hauled up by hand.
Old 02-24-2010

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
A side point... You should break the anchor from the mud (regardless of weight) with your engine, not the windlass.
Beneteau 423 #310
Old 02-24-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I read the title and thought this was a question about a court decision. Carry on.
Old 02-24-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'd go with the 25, along with a 45 or some other larger equal for when the hurricane runs thru.

having done some anchor hunting myself recently, The general appears to be for a 35-40 knot wind. With some having lighter wind and heavier wind speeds for the size anchor you need. Like my 6500 lb 30'r would be an 8 lb for lunch, 15 fo up to 40, and 25 for up to 60 knots.

Marty
Old 02-24-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Get the 35. Snub it on the cleat when the rode is 1:1 and break free with the motor. I have a Rocna 33 (35) and you don't need a windlass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-25-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I'd get the 35. I agree the charts are a joke. It should be easy to handle and you'll sleep better. As posted break it out with the engine and you only have to lift it for as many feet as the water is deep + your freeboard. Bigger is better when it comes to anchors and wiring.