SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Wallas Cabin Heaters

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bluesmoods 
#1 ·
We''re looking at putting in a new diesel heating system in our Jouet 940 MS. The Wallas appealed to us because we were told it was the only manufacturer that makes true boat heaters. Espar and Webasto were originally made for trucks and RV''s. Is there anyone out there with a Wallas heater that likes or dislikes theirs? What are other boaters using and how do they like what they have aboard? How is the diesel consumption - economical use?

#2 ·
I just installed an old Reflek cast iron "pot" heater aboard a 52 footer and my father-in-law has a Reflek(s) s/s pot heater aboard his 44 footer. They are burning 3 and 2.5 gallons of fuel per day respectively, keeping their boats at around 70 deg. here in New England. Both owners live aboard and are very pleased with the performance of their heaters.

Getting and maintaining the siphon can be a bit of a wag but I installed a dedicated fuel tank aboard the 52 footer above the level of the stove and fed from it''s bottom, fuel supply is no longer a problem. If you want to feed off of your existing fuel tanks and they are below the level of your stove, an electric fuel pump, available at most automotive supply stores, would be able to help you. In that roll, it’s drain on your batteries would be minimal.

Pi

#3 ·
I have a Wallas 3000DX (10,000 Btu) on my C-42. I am very pleased with the heater, its electrical demand is much less than the Espar or Webasto and it seems to be equivalent in fuel consumption. 2 gallons of diesel will last about 3 days of continuous use. The heater is also very quiet. We liveaboard in SF bay so we rarely get frost or below freezing temperatures.

Rod, S/V Sashay

#4 ·
The Webasto Heater is the best! It really is.. I don''t know who told you it was just for trucks and RV''s. They make the Air Top 5000 . Over kill for most boats, but boy is our cabin toasty.
I don''t know where you are but the dealer in the midlantic region is EB4L (www.everythingboatsforless.com) and in West Coast is Sure Marine in Seattle.

The Espar D4 is also a pretty darn good unit. Dedicated Marine Cabin Heater.

Both of these will keep you nice and toasty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.