Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-25-2010

ROSA is on a distinguished road
Harken MK II unit 1

We have Harken furlers on both headsails. The staysail furler works perfect. The genny is giving problems in that it is wrapping at the top swivel. The angle of each headstay is exactly the same. The staysail is on an external block, while the genny is on an internal sheave.

On hoisting the genny, before there is load on the halyard, it begins to move from aft of the stay, to the port side, clockwise at about 7/8's of the way up, toward the front of the foil. At full lift, under load, it has moved around 1/2 turn to the front of the foil so that the halyard attachment is directly forward of the foil. This causes the halyard to catch on the blunt end of the foil as it is rolled up, causing a thumping, binding, feel and difficulty rolling it up. It will roll up but has resistance bumps as it does so. It unrolls OK even though some bumping is detected.

The staysail upper swivel and the genny swivel feel identical and turn quite freely. I have considered a preventer mounted to the mast, and have two on hand, but know that this is a fairly recent problem and no preventer has ever been there. This boat is a 1977. The halyard is in great shape, nearly new. On the old halyard I do not remember a problem. A friend told me that the halyard may have formed a twist or set, near the top and I should install a swivel at the halyard attachment. I have also tried attaching extra shackles to lengthen the pennant at the drum, which did not help.

Last edited by ROSA; 02-25-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You need a halyard restrainer installed ASAP. If the halyard wraps around the foil, it will destroy the foil and likely the headstay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-25-2010

Sailingdog, I, for the most part agree with you totally and am preparing to install the a restrainer. I am still confused as to why the the top swivel is walking half way around the foil, without load, when it nears the top, as there is no difference in the specs between the two identical furlers, and why this has only occured after the new halyard has been installed?
Old 02-25-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I really have no idea, but is it possible that the halyard itself has a twist (or several) in it, making it want to walk around the stay as it goes up? Probably not...just trying to think of reasons it would do that with a new halyard.
Old 02-25-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
on my harken furler for the genny there is a sheave on the mast near the top. the halyard comes over the sheave on the top of the mast & down through the sheave about 6" below. the halyard pulls at an angle on the swivel to prevent it from rotating. harken recommends this if the halyard comes down at too little an angle to the stay. this prevents the halyard from wrapping around the stay.
Old 06-07-2010

The Harken retainer has been installed and we no longer have the tendency for the swivel to rotate at all.

The furler still seems to be catching and it is necessary to go to the fore deck and help it past the bind by turning it by hand while the mate is pulling on the furling line. It is now catching maybe once during the furl maybe halfway in, and seems smooth otherwise.

In addition, it catches or binds on the way out at the last turn before the sail is fully out, which again requires a help by hand. This tendency to fail to unroll is there even in 12 kts on a beam reach.

We have both slacked and tightened the tension on the halyard with little change. We have gone up to inspect the swivel and all related gear while the sail is furled. We have lowered the swivel and checked it by hand and it is smooth and free. I plan to go back to the top while the sail is being furled and unfurled to check and see if I see a reason for the bind.

Anyone have suggestions of what else I might check?
Old 06-07-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Furling line alignment...might be getting and overrun due to it piling up on one side of the drum and then falling and bunching up.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 06-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Furling line alignment...might be getting and overrun due to it piling up on one side of the drum and then falling and bunching up.
Yes, it could be the furling line alignment to the drum. The lead seems OK but I may try to adjust it a little. We are going to replace the furling line as it is slick 5/16" line which would have more of a tendency to do that falling thing, and it is also harder to grab and pull.
Old 06-07-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Harkens are notorious for halyard wrap if you have more than a few inches of halyard at full hoist. Add a pennant to the sail to reduce the amount of halyard showing.

Old 06-07-2010

Just came in from checking the furler earlier this morning at the dock. Very light wind blowing, but enough to keep the sail full. No problem at all in or out, smooth as glass.

I am wondering if the head stay could be a little slack under load and if that would affect the furler this much? I know the heat here is stifling at mid day and the head stay and the back stays must be expanding to some degree. I am detecting a bit more slack in the lowers under load.