Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Mast drain (or lack thereof!)

I was investigating a leak at the partners of my Yankee 30 an discovered that the keel stepped mast is not draining. In fact, I have water up to the hole in shown in the picture (about 4 inches above the step)! I had always assumed it was draining into the bilge. I have little access and no visibility to the rear of the mast. I don't see/feel any openings in the step that seem to be plugged. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Mast drain (or lack thereof!)-mast-step-3.jpg   Mast drain (or lack thereof!)-mast-step-2.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 02-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Is this the mast step inside the cabin or the partners on the deck? hard to tell from the photo. If it is the step inside the cabin—why not drill a hole for the water to drain out of.

Use a turkey baster or something similar to drain the interior of the mast completely and after it is dry do the following. Start by filling the interior of the mast with thickened epoxy to the level of the proposed drain hole, with it sloping upwards across the mast so that all the water drains and would drill the hole just above the level of the black piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2010
SV Déjàlà

braidmike is on a distinguished road
Had a similar experience. My mast is deck stepped, and the lowest opening was 2" up from the base. I would occasionaly squeeze in a sponge to try to keep it dry. When I had the mast rebuilt, the corrosion inside was significant. It was then reinforced, and proper drain openings cut. Depending on the age and corrosion (looks like you may have enough room for a small mirror and light) SD's suggestion may be fine. Mine was a bit too far gone and necessitated welding.
Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I think if it were mine, I would just take a cordless drill, maybe a right angle drill and punch a 3/8" hole as close as possible to the level of the bottom of the extrusion. It looks like you have room to work if I'm seeing the pictures right.
Frankly I'm surprised that there aren't limber holes somewhere already. Have you checked all around the step for a small hole?

Looking at the picture above, I can see a bunch of spot of Spartite. It looks as though it leaked when it was first applied. The clay dam wasn't made properly and that's probably the reason for the leak.

Last edited by knothead; 02-26-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Is this the mast step inside the cabin or the partners on the deck? hard to tell from the photo. If it is the step inside the cabin—why not drill a hole for the water to drain out of.

Use a turkey baster or something similar to drain the interior of the mast completely and after it is dry do the following. Start by filling the interior of the mast with thickened epoxy to the level of the proposed drain hole, with it sloping upwards across the mast so that all the water drains and would drill the hole just above the level of the black piece.
It's keel stepped (I edited the post to reflect that fact, thanks). Could S&S actually have designed a mast without a drain? The thought never even occurred to me! I assume the epoxy project would be performed with the stick pulled? With as much water as this mast has been storing, I guess I need to have a look anyway.
Old 02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Looking at the picture above, I can see a bunch of spot of Spartite. It looks as though it leaked when it was first applied. The clay dam wasn't made properly and that's probably the reason for the leak.
I was hoping one one would notice . No...that's a whole different, funny (now) and expensive story! I thought about telling it in the other thread regarding the leak. Maybe I will. As I mentioned there, due to the construction of the partners, the application of Spartite was problematic. The (final ) application of Spartite was performed correctly. Anyway, back to this swimming pool I call a mast!
Update: Told the story here:
How NOT to install Spartite!

Last edited by L124C; 02-27-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
L124C—

Just because S&S designed the mast with a drain doesn't mean that it was made with one... there are often a lot of things a designer would like but the manufacturer won't do for expense reasons...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I think if it were mine, I would just take a cordless drill, maybe a right angle drill and punch a 3/8" hole as close as possible to the level of the bottom of the extrusion.
I am about to do the same. I cant clear the hole at the foot of the mast at the track side. The foot / hole gets clogged up with bits of line (new version of baggywrinkle) and dirt.

Old 02-26-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
So you are saying that there was a limber hole and it just got plugged up?
Old 02-26-2010

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
Here is a photo of a mast riser added to a Pearson 28. Hard to tell for sure, but from the 2nd photo, it looks to me like the original didn't have a drain hole.

Photo credits go to "cptinm" on the P-28 yahoo group.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE