Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-28-2010

alofns is on a distinguished road
Mast Electrical Connections

I searched the forum for any previous thread on this so I apologize if I am repeating a question. However...

I have a Redwing 30 that I have been doing minor repair work to the electrical. One of my "projects" was to run power to the mast (nav lights, spreader bar lights to the deck and a anchor light). I had two thur fitting on the deck to power the nav lights and anchor lights, but the wire for deck lights on the spreader bar was cut and coiled up. They are all on seperate circuits which I'd like to keep to allow me to manage my power consumption. I had to remove the 2 prong thur deck fittings (so now I have 2 holes in my cabin roof).

I was wondering if there was an alternative to adding a third thur deck connector and simply run the wires out of one hole and use connector above deck. This would allow me to plug a hole and to avoid the cost of 3 thur deck connectors.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
That is what I am doing. My mast wires came through 3 separate holes in the deck and none were epoxy potted like they should be but the core was dry. I have filled the three holes and am now deciding how best to lead the wires through the deck. Maybi a swan neck shaped pipe with the open end facing down and plugged with sealant after the wires are led through it.
You don't really need the mast lights on separate circuits but separate switches so you can control their use.
Old 02-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How many wires did you need to connect. They make fittings that will handle two, three, four, five, six, and even seven wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-28-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
There are waterproof multi-pin connectors out there, they are just hard to find. Some folks use a common 4-pin "trailer" plug and just epoxy the wires through the deck, then grease and tape over the contacts. That can work. And a common ground certainly will work, you just need to remember that common lead will be carrying the combined current from all the lighting, so it needs to be ale to carry that without overheating or dropping your voltage too much.