Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-02-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Pappy, those extractors might be a little big for a #6 or #8 wood screw, especially one with a broken head.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
If all else fails and you have enough diameter in the stuck scrwe try an "easyout". It's more common to use easyouts in a steel bolt. You drill a hole down the center of the bolt that you want to extract. You then screw in the easyout into the hole. The easyout is threaded CCW... opposite to the normal screw thread. It's like a screw tap but in the opposite direction. Once the easy-out is screwed in you can use it to unscrew the stuck screw as turning it in to pull out the stuck fastener only tightenes the easyout. Easyouts are available in most hardware stores.
good luck
Old 03-03-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Pappy, those extractors might be a little big for a #6 or #8 wood screw, especially one with a broken head.
It's the tool that's important not the size besides you can get them smaller, and #6 or 8 wood screw is kind of a small fastener for a handhold

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 03-03-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i really suggest the plug cutters like was pictured above. it really is the best safest way

edit another option is a hole saw with the guide bit removed. they sell them very small if you look, i have seen them with an outside dia of 3/8
Old 03-03-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
you guys must have steadier hands than I do. Fostners, plug cutters, and hole saws usually give me fits in a hand drill. I am okay with a drill press, of course, but have really marred some wood up trying to do it by hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltthesalt View Post
If all else fails and you have enough diameter in the stuck scrwe try an "easyout". It's more common to use easyouts in a steel bolt. You drill a hole down the center of the bolt that you want to extract. You then screw in the easyout into the hole. The easyout is threaded CCW... opposite to the normal screw thread. It's like a screw tap but in the opposite direction. Once the easy-out is screwed in you can use it to unscrew the stuck screw as turning it in to pull out the stuck fastener only tightenes the easyout. Easyouts are available in most hardware stores.
good luck

If you do this method, make sure you drill a hole in the exact center of the screw you are removing. Use a punch or something. And drilling into steel isn't easy to start with.

I tried using one and was off center a bit, which is why I'm looking to cut a slot in the the top of the bolt so I can unscrew it.

Also, any pictures?

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 03-03-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
There is a tool like a small hole saw, but longer. It cuts in turning left, grabs the screw and draws it out by friction. I don't remember the name. Try Googling "broken screw extractor". If you can spring the rail out at all, consider using a hacksaw blade to cut the screw at the seam.
Old 03-03-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
I would make a huge electromagnet and just suck the screw into it.

Make sure you remove everything else that is metal from the boat and surrounding area.
Old 03-03-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a plan!

By the way, I started a new thread about rebedding these darn things. Seemed like a different subject really, so hope that's OK...
Old 03-03-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Is this a steel, non-stainless screw? You don't want any screws that are magnetic in a boat, anyhow, do you?