Join Date: Oct 2006
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Ha ha! Fortunately, there was no need for major explosives!
For anyone who might be interested, I got the screw out this weekend. I did try using an extractor. I bought some a new set of decent quality, but it did not work. The top of the broken screw was too rounded, so the tool kept slipping off and wouldn't grab.
So I ended up just drilling around the hole a few times, and pulled the handrail out. I ruined the hole. However, there's space nearby to add a new screw hole and bung if needed. So the handrails are now at home ready for stripping, etc.
The really good news though is that I ended up using the new extractor the same day on a stripped screw for a completely different project. Soooo, I suppose it all worked out.
Of course, there is still much work to do!
Thanks again everyone for the tips.
1984 Sabre 34 Mk I