Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-06-2010

acceri is on a distinguished road
bulging deck at chain plate cover

[IMG]3rd view[/IMG]

another view

2 pictures of the deck at the chainplate covers... There is no question its bulging...The chainplates and bulkhead appear healthy. Does anyone know what the pearson 10m (1974) used as a deck core? How would I begin to do a repair on this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't know what the boat is cored with, but I would guess that it is likely marine plywood. That photo looks like water got in and froze. You will probably want to do a complete core replacement in those areas, and properly pot the fastener holes to prevent water intrusion in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-06-2010

Can you suggest an article or book that help me figure out how to do that?
Old 03-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A good book to start with is Don Casey's This Old Boat. You should also check out the West Epoxy website (www.westsystem.com), as they have a lot of good information there.

To do this repair, you'll want to use epoxy resin, since it has the strongest secondary (adhesive) bonding characteristics of the three types of resin. I recommend using epoxy from Progressive Epoxy Polymers in NH (www.epoxyproducts.com). I would recommend getting the fiberglass from www.fiberglasssite.com.

Tim Lackey's website has some god info on doing thiis kind of repair.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2010

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
acceri,

Here are a couple of good websites you should visit. I followed the directions in the westsystem site when I had the same situation. Worked out just as described and wasn't too difficult.

The second site is log of a guy who did a complete refit of a Pearson Triton. Might be some helpful information for you.
http://westsystem.com/ss/assets/Uplo...lacingcore.pdf
Glissando Projects
Old 03-07-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
You are going to have the chain plate out of course so another thing to check is that the bulkhead or whatever the chain-plate is connected to is sound. If the holes wear and get elongated and someone put the the top cover plate on with 5200 it can actually pull the top skin of deck up.
Old 03-07-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Acceri

Feel free to PM if you want to visit my restore and get pointed in the right direction as we must be within 10 minutes of each other

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-07-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I would be ABSOLUTELy sure the chainplate attachment is OK. It is pretty unlikely the deck would bulge like that unless the chainplate is moving. You don't want to lose the mast over the side.
Old 03-07-2010

I have removed some panels inside to get a look at the chainplate attachment ...It appears clean and healthy. Of course ,the bulkhead (or whatever one calls the thing the chainplate is bolted to) is wrapped in fiberglass..so whatever is under there (wood?) is not available to see...but the chainplate bolts dont look like they are moving..the fiberglass has no cracks..
What else can I do? Drill some exploratory holes to get a bit of the core? Cut away some fiberglass? I dont want to make matters worse..
I 'll get some pictures..maybe someone can recognize tell tale signs.
Old 03-07-2010

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Can you get to both sides of the bolt that holds the chain plates to the bulkhead? If so take one bolt out, that will expose the wood for inspection. Maybe the top bolt is the one to start with?