How to make a 1/2 through hole a 1 1/2 through hole? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-09-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
Screw your 1/2" and 1 1/2" hole saw onto the same mandril so the 1/2" is inside the 1 1/2".
Then use the 1/2" as the starting guide for the 1 1/2".
Works real easy!
sam :-)
What he said

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
It is the holding tank pup out through hole for the macerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A couple of questions first—

What do you mean the through-hull is for waste discharge? Is it a bilge pump through-hull or a black water tank pumpout through-hull?
It is the holding tank pup out through hole for the macerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A couple of questions first—
Where on the boat is it located—the transom, the hull topsides?
Just above the water line on the port side by the salon.

For seating the through on the out side should I use 3M 5200?
I used 3M 5200? before on a through hole but am thinking of something a little less permanent.
Thanks,
Chip
Old 03-09-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
There are very few places I would use 5200 on a boat this is not one of them...I think you should have to have a licence to buy the junk...

Maybe for mounting your seacock backing plate but not for bedding the mushroom head through hull fitting itself.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 03-09-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoChip View Post
It is the holding tank pup out through hole for the macerator. Just above the water line on the port side by the salon.

For seating the through on the out side should I use 3M 5200?
I used 3M 5200? before on a through hole but am thinking of something a little less permanent.
Thanks,
Chip

Why would you want a holding tank macerator pump out ABOVE THE WATERLINE... Do you really want/like having a stream of **** running down the side of your boat??? I would highly recommend filling in this hole and putting in a proper seacock and through-hull that exits UNDERWATER.

Better yet, take the discharge hose from the head and run it directly into the holding tank and use the seacock that the head was using for overboard discharge for the macerator discharge, and you can get rid of one 1/2" hole through the hull completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
using a small hole saw inside a big hole saw on the same mandrel is fine, except that a) depending upon the quality of your hole saw set, the mandrel may not accept two saws at once, and b) if you size them carefully, you may find that the small hole saw will not be proud of the larger hole saw, which leaves you right back at square one.
Old 03-09-2010
Itz That Eazy!!!

L02314564 is on a distinguished road
Have you ever heard of an Oops Arbor? It is specifically designed for what you want to do. It will hold both hole saws in place allowing you to cleanly enlarge the hole. It is an inexpensive and handy tool to have. Hope this helps.
1976 Catalina 27 #2684

Last edited by L02314564; 03-09-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Saildog...too funny...your red and blue oversize writing is exactly what I though when I read the discharge was above the water line. I was picturing Wile E Coyote with a clothespin on his nose hitting the Acme switch and discharging wondering why it still smelled when he sailed away from the mess.

Best scenerio....head to holding tank..at the bottom of the tank where your out put usually is put brass valve which closes so the s...t stays in your tank and doesnt sit in your lines until you want to pump out ...after that a Y valve..one side goes to the deck pump out and the other to the macerator and then to the thru hole under the waterline.

The trick with the valve at the bottom keeps your lines clear and will help them last longer ( Its a bitch bending and replacing the good sanitation hose).

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
There was a article in one of my sailing mags recently, I think it was Good Old Boat? IF, a big if, I remember right, the suggestion was to cut a hole in a piece of plywood using the old size, in your case the 1/2", then put the cut piece in the new hole saw, I guess it acts as a guide. I have not done this, and would be scared sh&tless doing to a hull of any boat (except a maybe a Telstar 28) so maybe try it several times on something else first or do what others have suggested. BUT I have to echo Sailing Dog...why the heck would you want it above the waterline? So much for lunch
Old 03-10-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L02314564 View Post
Have you ever heard of an Oops Arbor? It is specifically designed for what you want to do. It will hold both hole saws in place allowing you to cleanly enlarge the hole. It is an inexpensive and handy tool to have. Hope this helps.
I don't recall it with the interesting name ...... but I purchased and used one a few years ago with good results.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 03-10-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Made a mistake.
The hole size is 1” not ˝”.
The through hole is still in the boat so I am not exactly sure of the size. A 1” hose fits over it.

The new hole size will need to fit a through hole that a 1 ˝ inch hose fits over so I am thinking a 1 ˝ through hole.

The same situation still exists and all the ideas are still the same I think.

The macerator through hole is located at the waterline. I can bend over the dock and put my hand up against it, as I have done it when checking the macerator. No waste would run down the side or at least only an inch if it did. I cannot remember if it is at the waterline or part is under water. It may even be under water after we get to cruising with all the gear. We macerate when sailing. We are moving so it does not catch up with us. We did it once heaved to and never again, that was on our old Catalina 30 and the through hole was under water but still the odor was bad.

So I could see that when cruising we may be at anchor and need to pump out so underwater would be better.

To move the through hole below the water line I would need to drill yet another hole in the boat. Leave the one that is there because to take out the through hole and fill the hole and re-do the waterline is a lot of time\work and we have way to many other projects going to take that on. Besides our sh… don’t stink!

The toilet out through hole is in a bad location, under the master bunk and hard to get at. We do not use it. We put in all new waste plumbing and holding tank and toilet. We use fresh water and the holding tank.

I had never heard of the “Oops Arbor” but just looked at one on Amazon and looks like it will do the trick. I am definitely getting that tool. Seems like the answer. I am not sure if my hole saws will work with two together.

There have been a lot of good ideas and I am glad I asked.
Thanks,
Chip

Last edited by SanDiegoChip; 03-10-2010 at 01:21 PM.